Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
MEGA-BabelCon (Read 4403 times)
Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
MEGA-BabelCon
Aug 17th, 2010 at 7:13pm

Announcing MEGA-BabelCon "Fandomonium"

I apologize for having to post this in a separate forum from "BabebCon 2011", but because of the new size of this event (we are expecting upwards of 3,000 attendees) we will be required to change the dates of the next BabelCon (maybe as soon as November). The new date will be announced soon.

We are holding a much larger event than we originally planned (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register). Some big name guests we are considering are Bruce Campbell, Adam West, Adam Baldwin, Alan Young, Andy Serkis, Bob Greenberger, John Ratzenberger, Felicia Day, Billy West and Yoshiyuki Tomino. [None or all of these people could appear, so please be advised only Bob Greenberger in that list is confirmed.]

Because BabelCon is designed to make science fun, we have secured the most appropriate venues to host MEGA-BabelCon in the heart of Baton Rouge's Downtown Development District: Shaw Center for the Arts, Manship Theatre, LSU Museum of Art, Louisiana Art & Science Museum Planetarium, Louisiana Old State Capitol, The River Center, and the Downtown Hilton Hotel.

Hope to see you there!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Re: MEGA-BabelCon
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 8:23pm

What if anything is being done differently regarding the gaming situation at this year at MEGA-BabelCon? From reviewing the previous year's accounts I am wondering if a different approach is being used.

I understand that BabelCon isn't a "gaming convention" though as an unelected and unauthorized representative of New Orleans NoLarp gamers, what's in it for us?

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

jharris
Townfolk

You have a kind of sick
desperation in your laugh

new orleans
Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 9:45pm

If you guys get Bruce Campbell, I'm there!!!

IP Logged

Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 6:58am

hewhorocks wrote on Aug 17th, 2010 at 8:23pm:
What if anything is being done differently regarding the gaming situation at this year at MEGA-BabelCon? From reviewing the previous year's accounts I am wondering if a different approach is being used.

I understand that BabelCon isn't a "gaming convention" though as an unelected and unauthorized representative of New Orleans NoLarp gamers, what's in it for us?

Those are good questions. The biggest problem we've had is getting someone (or a group of someones) to run the gaming room. This lack of volunteering by local gamers has led the other BabelCon board of directors to believe gaming is "of little interest anymore". Thus, we have had a shrinking game room, and it drives me crazy!  Why?

Because I know this isn't true, but without gamers volunteering to run a game area (and actually showing up at the con once they volunteer) there isn't going to be much gaming at BabelCon. There is some, but not much. We typically have 15-20 games scheduled. But we have enough people and potential space to accomodate hundreds of games.

Now, I am a gamer. I wrote a published D&D book, for goodness sakes. But being on the board of directors, I can't focus JUST on games. So what we wind up with is a 30x40 room with 20 tables and 15 scheduled games, and a book by the door for signing up for said games. Thats not where I want to be in terms of games being run at the con. I want the game room to be in the 150x150 room with 100+ games scheduled.

Most cons have a dedicated volunteer or group of gamers who enjoy organizing the game room. If we had this, BabelCon could be the largest gaming con in the region. We have the resources, we have the space, we have the gamers willing to play games - we just don't have any gamers willing to take up the management gauntlet. I can't do it alone.

So my question is, are there any gamers willing to volunteer to help run the game room? With 3,000+ attendees, this will not be an easy task, but the rewards are well worth the effort.  And the con will support any volunteer efforts to beef up the gaming.

~Randy

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 5:35pm

So we need someone willing and able to organize and run a convention within the convention. MEGA Babel-con will provide the space and as many as 3,000 at least tangentially interested folks.

Well gaming at conventions probably wont work as "tack ons" any more than "Tacking on a Civil war reenactment" works.

Engaging the "Local gaming community" requires active investment in time and attention so its not surprising that without that investment the self realizing prophesy of "of little interest anymore" propagates. Its tough to build up a network of volunteers and generate buzz within a gaming community especially on a grass roots level without a firm calender dates as a minimum.

To that note its difficult to commit to volunteer for something without having an concrete idea of when its occurring.

Approaching the gaming community on regional basis by contacting gaming companies (WOTC, Steve Jackson, Goodman games, Hero etc) and requesting displays and using their fan networks can assist greatly in reducing required lead time but six months is usually pushing it.

If a serious attempt were to made at making MEGA-BabelCon the largest gaming community in the region there are marketing steps and contacts to be made but just as importantly some organizational infrastructure to be installed (online registering of events/participation etc.)

Its not a one person job for sure but the constraint in the system isn't necessarily volunteers.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 7:41am

Understood. But gaming-interested volunteers is the one link in the chain we are missing. Without the manpower, all we've got is me, and as you said, its not a one person job. Everything else is in place and ready to go - marketing, gaming company support, and local game groups.

Last year we had a local 12-person gaming group who invested time and effort to come to all our monthly meetings, sign people up on our website, and then on the day of the con they never showed - all of them. Each one had a separate individual excuse, so it was apparently not a group protest or anything. Anyway, so all we had was the signup book on game day - again. Thankfully I had the sense to copy all the info to a book the night before, off the BabelCon website.

Oddly, last year we only had one complaint, and thats because the Warhammer guys did not show up to run their game. This was, of course, the same local game group who were no-shows. Go figure.

But this problem is ongoing. Gamers volunteer to work, and don't show when its go time.

The con is scheduled for November 2010. Since all your suggestions are in place, I am open to ideas on how to jumpstart a great gaming area.

IP Logged

Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 7:43am

Been working on the new website from dawn to dusk since Tuesday. There isn't much content yet, and the countdown clock is set at Nov. 1st since the exact dates are not yet confirmed, but other than that I think its good to go: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

There is a place to sign up games, on the Games page. Once the game is vetted, its posted to another page link to that one. Same as in other years.

IP Logged

Casper
ShadowRun B
Erinian
Dogs of War
Top Ten
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Stark player
Esplanade

You want what??? For how
much???

Seattle
Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 7:56pm

hewhorocks wrote on Aug 18th, 2010 at 5:35pm:
So we need someone willing and able to organize and run a convention within the convention. MEGA Babel-con will provide the space and as many as 3,000 at least tangentially interested folks.

If the con was in New Orleans (or even Slidell or Covington) I'd be all over this but Baton Rouge is far enough away and enough of a pain to go to that its just not worth it to me.  I can't speak for everyone but I just don't find the con experience worth the drive to BR as an attendee anymore, much less as someone helping to put it on.

For me, ebay ruined the only real reason to go to cons.

Don't waste my time.

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #8 - Aug 20th, 2010 at 3:53am

And not having money Ruined Ebay for me. So you know IM out.

IP Logged

Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #9 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 4:25am

I can't promise anything, but I am currently communicating with Chris Johnston on possibly holding a sort of "Bayou Wars at BabelCon" gaming event, either for 2010 or 2011 MEGA-BabelCon, or both. So far he seems open to the idea, so cross your fingers.

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #10 - Aug 23rd, 2010 at 2:27pm

Who the heck is Chris Johnston?

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #11 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 6:57am

beyonder wrote on Aug 23rd, 2010 at 2:27pm:
Who the heck is Chris Johnston?

The coordinator of Bayou Wars.

IP Logged

Rebecca
Townfolk

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Reply #12 - Aug 29th, 2010 at 8:01pm

But I thought Bayou Wars was devoted entirely to miniatures war gaming.  If he's running a "Bayou Wars at Babelcon" then that will be of limited interest to rpg-ers.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #13 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 5:13pm

Still,

If Bayou wars were at the same place there is much more cross over between wargamers and rpg'er than with the science fiction population at large. It would make for some easier transition to organize some additional events, well I would think.

IP Logged

Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #14 - Sep 7th, 2010 at 2:36pm

The press release explaining about the November event (Fandemonium) has been posted to the BabelCon website's Home page (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register).

Since my duties as Communication Officer were part of my previous position, I will soon be handing off those tasks to someone else since I am now the VP.  I only mention it because this will probably be my last official BabelCon notice in this forum.

I may post requests for game masters from time to time, but I will do so in an unofficial capacity. Chris and I are toying with the idea of having a "Bayou Wars at Fandemonium" franchise event, and it was mentioned at the recent public meeting that 3 large hotel meeting rooms are being considered for this event, but nothing is yet confirmed. We are still in the brainstorming stages.

Thanks,
~Randy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print