Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Warhammer 40k RPG anyone? (Read 4481 times)
jharris
Townfolk

You have a kind of sick
desperation in your laugh

new orleans
Warhammer 40k RPG anyone?
Aug 5th, 2010 at 8:39am

I am considering starting a WH40k campaign and am wondering if anyone out there might be interested.  My thought is to run a Dark Heresy storyline with a touch of Rogue Trader mixed in.  I prefer to run a story heavy adventure and focus more on creating a great tale than getting caught up in the game mechanics.  I would be looking for a core group of 4 or 5 players that could commit one evening weekly (or biweekly) to game.  I would expect players to be somewhat familiar with the 40k universe (although I must admit that I could have fun with a character that doesn't know "what else is out there").  I am still very early in the planning stages (and must admit that I am more interested in joining a game than starting one at the moment) so for now I'm just trying to judge interest.

IP Logged

megalodon
Townfolk

Burn the heretic.

Uptown, New Orleans
Re: Warhammer 40k RPG anyone?
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 7:17pm

I would be into some Dark Heresy. very few people seem to be into the Warhammer universe. I play the Warhammer: Invasion card game occasionally, that is about as close as I can get to playing Warhammer, so if you're interested in playing that inbetween getting a group, I'd be up for that as well.

PM me if you want to get together.

IP Logged

jharris
Townfolk

You have a kind of sick

new orleans
Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 11:34pm

It really is a shame that more people aren't into this RPG, since the universe is as well crafted as any sci-fi universe there is, complete with great storylines, cool history and amazing characters.  I love the dark mood of 40k and some of the great stories that can be run in these games.  Unfortunately, I haven't gotten into the card game, but might need to check it out.  If there were just a few more people interested in creating a cool story in an amazing universe, I would really be down to do something....anyone?

IP Logged

cormac
Townfolk

The wandering monster
is dead.

irish channel uptown
Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 4:15pm

i just watched the movie Ultramarines based off warhammer. was it close to the rpg world?

IP Logged

Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 10:31pm

Go Tau!

Being an Atheist doesn't mean I'm better than you. Statistically, it just means I'm smarter.

IP Logged

jharris
Townfolk

You have a kind of sick

new orleans
Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 5:55am

I haven't had a chance to see Ultramarines, but the Dawn of War video games are set in the 40k universe.  It's dark and grim and makes for a really cool setting.  Imagine all of your favorite fantasy races as aliens in the distant future...elves, orks, demons and the undead, plus traditional aliens (the aforementioned Tau) the "aliens" movie aliens and genetically altered superhuman space marines.  The background history is as deep and developed as any fantasy or sci fi world (including Star Wars or Tolkien's)...

IP Logged

jharris
Townfolk

You have a kind of sick

new orleans
Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 5:56am

ultramarines is probably set in the 40k universe since that is one of the main Space Marine Legions...(my icon or avatar or whatever is an Ultramarine).

IP Logged

Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 7:18pm

Go Tau! (hehe)

Being an Atheist doesn't mean I'm better than you. Statistically, it just means I'm smarter.

IP Logged

Graver13
Townfolk

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Irish Channel
Reply #8 - Apr 10th, 2011 at 11:04pm

Wow, I stumbled on this thread a bit late!  I freaking love the 40k universe and am saddened by the lack of fans here abouts... or maybe where all just not checking these forums as regularly as we should.

I've ran a Dark Heresy (with slight detours into Rogue Trader) for a little over two years but that campaign ended about a year ago.  I've been on break from the GM role lately while other members of our group take their turn at the GM helm.  Currently we're playing a home-brew system and setting that one of our group came up with and, once complete, will be playing in either a Deadlands game or Dresden Files (she's still making up her mind).  Either way, as things are going now, come late summer/early fall, it will probably be my turn back at the controls and I'll be launching a new Dark Heresy game (so there's plenty of time to find this message late!)

However, the game I'm slowly planing won't be focused on the Inquisition but, instead, dealing with the Ecclesiarchy as the big alpha predator/employer(?) of the PC's lives.  The last campaign we focused on the intricate plots woven by the power elite with a close look at Radicalism and it's cost and the wars the Inquisition wages against their own in very cloak and dagger stories strewn with moles, double and triple crosses, and a setting where you couldn't trust anyone, much less your own thoughts.  In all of that, one thing that I felt was only glossed over or severely lacking was a good hard look at one of the most important aspects of any Imperial's life: faith.  So, with a new campaign, I really want questions of faith to come to the forefront and and what better organization to spearhead such an exploration then the Ecclesiarchy.

If your in any way interested in joining in once the game launches in a hand full of months or jumping in on one of the others we are running currently, PM me, post to this thread, email me, or just think really hard about it, what ever twiddles your biscuit and floats your boat Smiley  It's just good to know there's more folks interested in 40k around here :-D

Edit: Oh and on the Ultramarine movie, yes, it is one and the same universe as the 40k rpg line (Dark Heresy [investigative horror CoC style], Rogue Trader [high adventure], and Death Watch [action action action]).  However, as a representation of the universe, it kind of fails like most anything else that seems to come out for 40k.  The universe it self has a LOT more depth intricacy then 3/4ths of the stories released for it would have one believe.  If the movie Ultramarine was equated with the any of the 40k rpg's it would be best described as a quickly slapped together one-off test session with pregened characters to test the combat system.  The universe is sooooo much more, but I guess the movie is a gateway into it.

IP Logged

Casper
ShadowRun B
Erinian
Dogs of War
Top Ten
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Stark player
Esplanade

You want what??? For how
much???

Seattle
Reply #9 - Apr 10th, 2011 at 11:09pm

Ask around at +1 Gaming.   There are guys who play and paint miniatures there in the afternoon on weekends.

I know some of the Yugioh players are into 40K.  They are doing yugioh on sunday afternoons.

Don't waste my time.

IP Logged

Graver13
Townfolk

me.

Irish Channel
Reply #10 - Apr 10th, 2011 at 11:25pm

Man, I've always wanted to check that stor out, but it seems to be a good distance from the bus-lines and I just never knew if figuring out an alternate way of getting there would be worth it or not.  Thanks for letting me know for sure!

IP Logged

ckenp
Townfolk

me.

Reply #11 - May 4th, 2012 at 2:19pm

I'm new to RPG's as a whole, and have fallen in love with the Dark Heresy world. I'm curious to hear how the campaign based on the ecclesiarchy went/is going?

IP Logged

Casper
ShadowRun B
Erinian
Dogs of War
Top Ten
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Stark player
Esplanade

You want what??? For how
much???

Seattle
Reply #12 - May 4th, 2012 at 6:56pm

Again, pop into +1 gaming.  I don't know anyone whose played the system and its been over a year since anyone has talked about it here.

Don't waste my time.

IP Logged

ckenp
Townfolk

me.

Reply #13 - May 4th, 2012 at 6:59pm

10-4, thanks.

IP Logged

Nebuchadnezzar
Townfolk

Warforged Druid, Transform
and Roll Out!

Mid City
Reply #14 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 6:50pm

The good news: I would be very interested in playing this game, and I am quite familiar with the universe.
The bad news: Despite said familiarity, I have never had the chance to play the RPG, or the strategy game, since my friends could never wrap their heads around it.
Thus, I could play, but have no experience, and may require a little coaching.

Currently enjoying a peaceful vacation on the tropical paradise of Banoi. Who do you voodoo?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print