Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Differences between 3.5 & 4.0 ?? (Read 5623 times)
whodat3542
Townfolk

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Metairie, LA
Differences between 3.5 & 4.0 ??
Jul 26th, 2010 at 7:15am

Would anyone mind posting a few major differences between these two versions of D&D ? which version do you guys like better ?

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Re: Differences between 3.5 & 4.0 ??
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 2:27pm

Floodgates: Open

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Casper
ShadowRun B
Erinian
Dogs of War
Top Ten
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Stark player
Esplanade

You want what??? For how
much???

Seattle
Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 4:16pm

D&D 3.5 (and Pathfinder sometimes called 3.75) is a system like the old D&D (archtypes, levels) that is heavily skill and feat (special moves) based.   3.5 focuses on making any character or monster in a well defined way.  Basically all special powers are defined so in theory a player could play any monster and IN THEORY you would know how to balance that character with the rest of the party.

D&D 4 seems inspired by video game RPGs like WOW or Kingdom Hearts.  Often different characters are equally powered (i.e. do same damage) and only the special effect is different.  This is only true of the basic characters.  There are some new classes that have other tactical benefits and I think 4.0 is the first to actually think about group tactics and powers in any serious way.

A lot of old times are very anti-4.0.  I am not.  I don't like it more than 3.5 but I don't think its as evil or lame and a lot of people.  Its just different with its own focus.  4.0 does seem more combat oriented (if you can believe that).

Both versions are superior to the older versions of D&D (in my opinion).  You get more options and control of what your character can do and focuses on as you go up in levels.  Many people would disagree with that.  I think magic and thievery were broken in older versions and the newer games improve that.  Lots of people would argue which is better and why, which better supports role playing but I don't see that any different than arguing between D&D and other systems.  Basically, if you consider what each system tries to do you can get a good idea of what it will work well for and what it wont.

Between these two games (3.5, 4.0) I think most people would agree that 3.5 will appeal to old timers more because it is more like the older versions.  4.0 will appeal more to people who grew up playing RPG video games, including the ones that are multiplayer and cooperative.   

The only thing that you can say entirely objectively (I think) is that 4.0 scales combat in a different way than all previous versions.  At high levels it is designed to make combat last longer and you have to think more as a group.  All the older D&Ds were much more likely to have Bob does X and Sue does Y and combat is over.  4.0 is more focused on combat as a team as that was part of its design.

Now I will watch as the different camps tear everything I said apart.  Smiley

Don't waste my time.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 4:26pm

3.5 is the latest edition of Dungeons and Dragons that would be recognized as the same family as first edition. 4th edition is more of a tactical board game within a role-playing context.  While combat in 3.5 (and older editions) can be played without a “battle-map” or game board, it seems an impossibility in 4th. Arguments abound on how that effects role-playing though I think that most informed people would agree a lot has to do with the style employed by the players. If you take combat out of it the game play could be identical. 4th has a much more simplified skill system (which I feel leads to a focus on RP rather than rolling in game but leaves off the on-paper justification no ranks in say cooking.)

The games really seem to utilize different skill sets (player wise) the requirement of a battle-map really makes 4th edition an exercise in tactics that 3.5 just wasn’t as focused on. Another difference is game balance. 4th strives to make each character roughly equivalent to every other character of the same level. While this sounds like a good idea it has a dramatic effect on team dynamics. Wizards show this dramatically no more hiding in the back with a crossbow at early stages of your adventuring career in 4th. Then again there is no “I have the power of 20 suns at 13th” either.

They are very different games and I would say they are the same RPG in name only.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 4:37pm

Wow 2 posts on the subject without "my game is more Uber!" See how we are growing.

I've been running a 4th game for about a year and we've discussed an older player conundrum. We try to follow character driven development storylines which appeals to old-schoolers instead of most new players. However by using 4th ed most Old schoolers wont come close to the game on principal. 

I'm not sure regarding the Videogame comment. I think there are some cooperative tactical games though I 'm not sure its homage to those games, rather than the principals of balance in game design showing up in both genres

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 10:12pm

I agree with Hew here, but I always found combat hard without some sort of reference for character location. Things like cones and blast radi when fighting mulitiple oppenents or seeking safe distance can be quite a challenge with 10 or more allies/opponents involved.

Being an Atheist doesn't mean I'm better than you. Statistically, it just means I'm smarter.

IP Logged

shawnmtoups
Townfolk

Kenner
Reply #6 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 10:17pm

hewhorocks wrote on Jul 26th, 2010 at 4:26pm:
While combat in 3.5 (and older editions) can be played without a “battle-map” or game board, it seems an impossibility in 4th.

It's not impossible to run combat without a map or grid, it's just so much easier.

shawnmtoups nightsonsmt  
IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #7 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 5:22am

Well, sure you can play chess  or Monopoly or even Go for that matter without a board. However for a group of say 5 players to each have that significant a spacial acumen would be either a construct of absurdity or folks just saying "fudge it."

You think 4th ed combat takes too long now? Try " Ok your 5 squares from him but three from the fighter, there is rubble which counts as rough terrain just ten feet to your left then five feet north of that as well.  The northern part provides cover from the north or south but not the east or west.The pit is 10 feet behind you and the wizards minions are...."

I find myself already saying "let me draw it"

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #8 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 2:45pm

Yeah, but the reality is that miniature-less combat generally doesn't involve language like "squares."  In my experience, miniature-less combat has been handled in a much more abstract way, with players having a general vision of the battlefield rather than a specific one with positions and what not.  In a 30 by 30 room of a dungeon  or a skirmish in an alleyway, things like distance, blast radii, et cetera don't really matter.  You keep track of which kobold you're attacking, whether or not you're hiding behind or under something, and whether or not someone or something is next to you ("Aren't you hunched under a little table right now?  You can't load your crossbow!").  I've even done it in 4E before, though mechanics like Blast and Burst lost a lot of their effect - I had to resort to fudging it a couple times, but I don't feel that it took away from the game at all, and I certainly didn't allow anything that would be obviously impossible if we had been playing with a grid.

Now, I will say this: I ran two encounters (separate sessions) with the same group of players and similar numbers of monsters.  The first I ran mini-less and the second I ran with a grid.  The first encounter took about 15 minutes.  The second took about 2.5 hours.  When there's a board involved, many people tend to spend too much time analyzing all possible moves.  Gridless combat tends to be more fluid like a conversation.  Though a group can always implement a "shot clock" to limit player deliberation - and ignoring any discussions of the true definition of the word "game" - gridless combat is generally faster.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about 4E and gridded combat and everything that entails (it's entirely separate from the RP component of RPGs and satisfies a different set of tastes for me), but the loose, mini-less combat so common in pre-4E D&D has its appeal, too.

nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #9 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 2:56pm

Oh, and magic is a lot different in 4E.  A lot of the old non-combat spells that you know and love like Knock and Tenser's Floating Disk are not listed as Powers for the different magic-using classes.  Rather, they are treated as Rituals and are handled in a totally different way.

Now then - I don't remember *how* exactly they're handled (never really absorbed it since I haven't used it in a game yet, and I don't have my PHB on me), but IIRC they can be used by members of any class are and found through studying a Ritual Book containing the Ritual they want to learn or read off of scrolls.  Rituals have levels, too, and can only be learned by a character of level less than or equal to the Ritual level.  I think Wish might be a Ritual in 4E.  Speaking of Wish, I wish I had my PHB on me right now so I could look it up and stop guessing.  Bah!

I'm sure my memory did not treat the rules for Rituals in 4E very well, so someone please feel free to jump in and enlighten whodat3542.

nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #10 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 4:21pm

To act as a limited wish:

Non-combat/utility spells are classified as rituals and with a feat can be learned and cast by any character. (Depending on components, level and in many cases skills) A similiar mechanic exists for "non-magical rituals" called Martial Practices (long distance running, forgery etc.)

IP Logged

Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Reply #11 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 3:55pm

I think I like the idea of the "shot clock", beyonder. In the meet up game so far, most combat seems to be very drawn out and it is something I might want to consider for my Northshore game. What would be a good starting count-down in your opinion? I probably won't impliment one for the first few sessions since most are inexperienced, but eventually I will need to figure out something to speed up the combat encounters.

Being an Atheist doesn't mean I'm better than you. Statistically, it just means I'm smarter.

IP Logged

Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Reply #12 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 4:13pm

Another difference in 3.5 to 4e is the Skill Challenge encounters. I see no one mentioned them yet. The description given for running them in the DMG seems very straightforward, and really no fun. Essentially, the DM gives the players one or more base Skills to roll in order to progress through a challenge (let's say extracting information from an NPC). Each success gets you one step closer to achieving your goal, while a failure has the opposite effect. As the challenge progresses, the DM will notify the players of new skills that are allowed for use. There are also skills that may result in auto-failure. I just don't like telling the players what to do, or that they are limited in their options. If you can come up with a badass story on how you were able to us an Athletics check to help the party Bluff the king (and it makes sense), then hell yeah, why not?  Smiley

I see some good that can be taken out of this system if the DM can provide a good narrative and think on their feet a bit. I have decided to use concepts from this challenge system, but change it to feel more story and role play driven. Instead of giving a set of base skills to use and having a skill tree open up as the players reach success, I plan on using the narrative of the story to hint at logical solutions. Using a skill related to the solution they have devised, I will then have them roll against an appropriate DC. I am also not limiting skill challenges with a "Skill Tree" that shifts as the challenge evolves. If the players want to do something off the wall, then as the DM it is your job to referee the rolls and describe the outcome. IMHO the word "no" should only come out of the DM's mouth after 100 "yes's" have been given.  Cheesy

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #13 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 7:20pm

Yeah I think the description of how to run skill challenges is not very clear. It is one area where they assume the DM knows what to do but I found that wasnt the case at least in our game.

Your "Solution" to rectify the situation is actually how the challenges were intended. The DM shouldn’t say roll skill X rather  “The Duke seems an impressive figure and looks somewhat off-put granting this audience to some adventures.”  Part of the issue is unlike much of 4th edition skill challenges require a great deal of preparation for the DM. (Either that or they need to be very good at working things on the fly. )
The "No" after the "100's yeses" thing is actually something that a lot of DM's do when they break the narrative voice.  Ie. its meta-game speak. "The No" is really the DM saying "I don’t think that this will work, I'd advise against it. " When the "proper” method of game play would be "The Duke chuckles, 'Yes your quite a specimen but I've got chunks of guys like you in my breakfast.' He looks unamused by your attempt at intimidation and seems to be on the verge of ordering his guards to drag you out."

In our group we have taken to role-playing out the encounter with interpretations by the DM on which skill the character is trying to use.  “ Hmmm that sounds like diplomacy…OK That’s an intimidate check” That’s certainly not something easily  done for all groups. “I use intimate” is the extent of RP in some groups, which is fine if they enjoy that and the rules work for both styles.

Im not sure skill challenges are really new to 4th though. I think most groups have used something similar since 3.0 though I’m not sure its been codified in a core rulebook.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #14 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 7:54pm

Beyonder
To the Grid-less combat though how did you handle Push, pulls, slides, slows combat advantage? Couple those effects in with the terrain effects, Marks, blasts, bursts, zones, cover, immobilize (all of which are much more meaningful in 4th than prior eds) and it would seem to be a lot to focus on rather than describing the actions and effects in the naritive voice.

I dont know, Certainly I think we could run combat like story-mode as in earlier editions but I might argue you are tinkering with the balance of classes that is designed in 4th ed. In a combat with 15 total actors how does the wizard's  slow in a blast 1 within 10 affect the battle field? You can hand wave it certainly but controllers and some leaders give up much of the firepower from previous editions to address battlefield manipulation effects. The warlord class is all about manipulating the subtleties of the battlefield without the grid there it would be very difficult to not overplay or underplay the value/ scope of those abilities.

Again I think we could hand-wave it but in the context of discussing the differences between 3.5 and 4th it would be doing a great disservice to the discussion not to address the vastly more important role the battle-map plays in the 4th ed system.

I have said in the past, 4th ed D&D requires a different skill set than prior incarnations. In previous editions a good player was judged primarily by their RP ability. By 3.5 your ability to build effective characters was also a contributing factor. In 4th your tactical ability also plays a significant role in describing how good of a player you are.

I guess we could pull apart the constituent parts but I think 4th without a battle map is really like playing 3.0 ~3.5 without feats; it would be removing one of the most significant differentiations of the game from previous incarnations.
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2010 at 9:06pm by hewhorocks »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print