Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Quorum (Read 1350 times)
hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Quorum
Jun 26th, 2010 at 2:28am

I think after reviewing recent events we should set the quorum at 4 players. Less than that and scaling encounters on the fly etc doesnt seem to be a good idea.

If we have fewer than 4 I would suggest easy games of traveller:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Its episodic, a change of pace, and a hoot.

"This is Free Trader Beowulf,
calling anyone...
Mayday, Mayday...we are under
attack...main drive is gone...
turret number one not responding...
Mayday...losing cabin pressure
fast...calling anyone...please help...
This is Free Trader Beowulf...
                          Mayday..."
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2010 at 7:43am by hewhorocks »  

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

Flee the mighty water-bear.

New Orleans
Re: Quorum
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2010 at 7:22am

Here here, one-off games can be mighty entertaining.  Plus I don't like dying.

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2010 at 8:09pm

I've never played Traveller, but I'd be happy to do that if we lack a quorum.

(My recollection is that we're not playing next Saturday, quorum or no, because people are doing holiday things -- is that right?)

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2010 at 12:26am

You are correct.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2010 at 12:42am

Traveller background if folks like that kind of stuff.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

OG
Townfolk

There is no spoon.

Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2010 at 5:42am

I glanced over that wikipedia article that you posted on traveler, it sounds like a really cool game and I'd love to play a sci-fi based game, even on a regular basis. The wikipedia article did mention that there are numerous publishers and versions of Traveler.  What version should we be prepared to play and are there any books that you can suggest we purchase or at least read through to prepare for the game?  Should we create characters for it?

IP Logged

OG
Townfolk

There is no spoon.

Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2010 at 5:57am

Cool history, I do dig that sort of thing. Gives a good perspective on the general world (universe?) we'd be dealing with.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #7 - Jun 28th, 2010 at 6:52am

Well creating characters is a "game within a game" as it were. I would play episodic style i think with each session an independent story. For ship combat I'm leaning towards starmada. For any land vehicle combat i think carwars. Everything else the original traveller does well enough i think. 

I dont have my original stuff anymore so I ordered this one
but any of the classic Traveller stuff works. My inspiration was the LBB (little black books) 0-8.

Trying to work out how to do ship combat though. One player is driving and another gunning and then third? the fourth? got to come up with a system that allows each character to meaningfully perform actions beyond just rolling a  couple of dice. Maybe dynamic shielding or some such....

IP Logged

OG
Townfolk

There is no spoon.

Reply #8 - Jun 28th, 2010 at 6:57am

How about multiple gun ports and/or a standing damage control crew?

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #9 - Jun 28th, 2010 at 4:28pm

Yeah but its tough to keep that intresting as an rp oppurtunity while maintaing the flow of the "starship" combat... Will have to work it out.

Maybe depending on the scenarios have multiple encounters going at once??!! Hmmm...

IP Logged

Casper
ShadowRun B
Erinian
Dogs of War
Top Ten
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Stark player
Esplanade

You want what??? For how
much???

Seattle
Reply #10 - Jun 28th, 2010 at 5:28pm

Not that I think I would ever have time to run a game...

but I was looking at starmada as a way to do space combat too.

In answer to your question, you have one guy piloting and the rest take up gunner slots.   (You ship needs multiple gun turrets of course.)  When you are short on people one gunner controls all the guns in tandem or the computer does it but when you have multiple people, each one can sit at a gun and fire on his side of the ship.  (Think of the falcon in Star Wars.)

You can also have a person doing the calculations for the hyperspace jump and/or people on damage control depending on how long the battle takes and how damage works.  Or you could have fighters for a few people but I don't think Traveler has those too often.

Don't waste my time.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #11 - Jun 29th, 2010 at 3:51pm

The problem isnt really having tasks assigned to each character, rather its making those tasks meaningful and significant from both an Roleplay perspective and from a mechanics perspective.  Sure you can be a gunner but if there is no meaningful choice in the scope of your actions, then its not really all that exciting. 

Having damage control teams would be useful in RL but making those engadging roleplay encounters on par with piloting the ship on a game board takes some doing. It essentially be like running seperate encounters for each character. It could happen...

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

Flee the mighty water-bear.

New Orleans
Reply #12 - Jun 29th, 2010 at 4:52pm

I've been doing a "Savage Worlds" Eberron game with my other group.  It's a rules-light system, easily flexible for a variety of settings.  Many people have created and posted settings around the internet.  One site showing conversions is here: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

and another massive list of conversions is here (including some Traveller conversions, an example at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register):

Also, the book is only $10.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #13 - Jun 29th, 2010 at 10:55pm

One benefit of savage worlds is that tom could use a whole lot more of his d12's!

Par of the appeal of Traveller for me is partly nostalgic another is that its d6. The game itself is fairly simple. On par with basic D&D. It also allows for easy expansions and home-rules etc. 

Well that and making star charts is at least as fun as making dungeons!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print