Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Minis or no minis

Minis    
  5 (35.7%)
No Minis    
  2 (14.3%)
Sometimes Minis    
  7 (50.0%)

Total votes: 14
« Last Modified by: shawnmtoups on: May 22nd, 2010 at 3:23pm »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
minis or no minis (Read 2216 times)
shawnmtoups
Townfolk

Kenner
minis or no minis
May 22nd, 2010 at 4:54am

So I'm interested to know everyone's. I've played both ways and have no real opinion either way.

shawnmtoups nightsonsmt  
IP Logged

Red Priest
Adventurer

I'm after rebellion; I'll
settle for lies.

Re: minis or no minis
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2010 at 7:12am

Yeah, me too.  So, you need to add "Sometimes" as an option.

"Guaranteed by Dr Tarr and Professor Fether"

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2010 at 9:34am

If you have the money or had some already from past sets, games, it can really add something to the game...hearing of a huge dragon with a high AC and not dropping after 25 hits can be somewhat scary but seeing a dragon that is bigger than if you added all your characters together and then tripled their mass and it's still bigger than you....

Imagination is always great, as long as a basis/description of the thing you are fighting is well done...The new 4th edition lacks this, so that's why I enjoy some of the older descriptions in the old Monster manuals...so descriptive!

One of my DM's has a real affinity for painting minis and can be really creative, having created some custom miniatures for spell effects...i.e. bigby's, flaming sphere, etc.  SO it really did add a great deal to the game.

IP Logged

shawnmtoups
Townfolk

Kenner
Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2010 at 3:26pm

Added sometimes option

shawnmtoups nightsonsmt  
IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2010 at 6:03pm

Interesting note, the original Dungeons and Dragons was described on the cover as:

Rules for Fantastic Medieval Wargames Campaigns Playable with Paper Pencil and Miniature Figures

Though until the coming of the internet I didnt have access to enough figures to reasonably work it. I remember wanting to play warhammer when it came out but thought who can afford that many minis!

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2010 at 6:15pm

I love using minis. I used to never use them until a friend of mine lent me some to make more sense out of our combat encounters. The difference was amazing. Now, when I think minis, I think the entire grid system. As far as collecting enough minis to have accurate representation on the board, we usually ended up just using some type of markers.
For those of you that want to have a slightly reasonably selection of minis and don't necessarily want to get too into painting (or "gotta' have 'em all" pokemon syndrome) just check out the internet. 4th ed sets are 3-4 painted plastic minis and places like Amazon.com and eBay have em for cheap.

Being an Atheist doesn't mean I'm better than you. Statistically, it just means I'm smarter.

IP Logged

Kifaru
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
Erinian
Kallistier
Dogs of War
Intelligent_Life
oldEsplanade
Enlightened
JustSayNo

Run baby run

Reply #6 - May 26th, 2010 at 3:32am

I'm torn on the minis issue.  I'm generally a non-mini guy.  In a best case scenario the description of a GM and the colors of imagination beat out a map and minis by a mile.  Using maps and minis kind of take away from the story telling aspect of the thing.  It becomes more of a war game that a RPG.  But I have found times when minis have been useful.  Still lean toward the no minis but am starting to be a bit of a convert.

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 2:41pm

BLAST FROM THE PAST

I just saw this article on reddit (if you didn't know, there's an RPG subreddit at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register), and it reminded me of this thread.  The article is about occasional mini-less combat in 4E.

For your reading enjoyment:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print