Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
thinking about switching (Read 6243 times)
hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Re: thinking about switching
Reply #15 - May 12th, 2010 at 2:33am

Thats to bad. It sounds like the player isnt as interested in playing the game for the story as she is about being the "awesome one."  That visceral feeling of power is only as effective as the story lets it be though. Rolling a d8 for damage that kills a minion can be "tearing its head off" or a simple punch as the Dm portrays. If the rules are getting in the way of the  rp story then something isnt quite right.

My example was just showing that you can use creative builds to facilitate anything you want story wise (werewolf wizard, warlock, or sorcerer, invoker..etc can be made.) Flavor is there to be modified at will! Switching to eladrin may cost you a feat and an at will though the teleport and the low light vision could certainly be helpful.

If your not planning to run another Monty haul game and you switch up I would make up a "werewolf" character sheet just in case and then either have her play or not. She sounds more of a pain than I think most of us would want to put up with.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #16 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 6:34pm

Not to continuously update this post though I thought one other issue with 4th edition I might mention is that it assumes a somewhat higher level of magic than say 1st edition. Raising the dead isn’t a big deal, first level characters can teleport around the battle field, etc. While you can re-flavor this sort of thing easily enough it is more work for you if you want to maintain a certain feel.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Reply #17 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 3:13pm

shawnmtoups wrote on May 5th, 2010 at 7:18pm:
and I would have to invest a decent amount of money into buying the books.What should I do? 

If you are concerned about the cost (especially since WotC has marketed them once again in ever releasing, endlessly expanding books designed to get all of our money) then go online. Many RPG books can be purchased in PDF format at reduced cost.

*whisper* Or, you can search for them on the torrents and get the PDF's that way
  Wink

As for minis, Amazon is just amazing.
  Smiley

Being an Atheist doesn't mean I'm better than you. Statistically, it just means I'm smarter.

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #18 - Jun 14th, 2010 at 4:22am

Besides the online PDF's, if you want your books, Amazon's prices on 4th ed is awesome...PHB costs $34.95...or $23.00 plus shipping...etc...look them up...also, both the PHB and PHB2 can be had for the price of one book...It is a special deal they have.  As for the others, if you sign up for the DND insider, you can get any and all info to create characters, print monster stats and info to use, create custom monsters, modify existing ones to fit your campaign. 

Ebay is okay for some items if you don't mind used.  Usually damaged slightly or something like that...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print