Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
In the Forest of the Mad Woad (Read 912 times)
yle-kay
Adventurer

Flee the mighty water-bear.

New Orleans
In the Forest of the Mad Woad
Apr 28th, 2010 at 12:30am

We returned with Dayereth to the surface above the mushroom forest, in an effort to move the sky stone as far away from the Woad as possible.  Leaving Dayereth to find a suitable place to keep the stone, we retrieved Brent and returned down the root-hole in the great tree.

When we arrived at the waterfall at the entrance to the valley, Aerandis consulted the spirits of the forest and the Dryad of the great tree emerged.  Speaking in Elven, she told of the poison tree which the Woad had created using the magic of its piece of the sky stone.  She recommended that we burn the tree to the ground.  The sky stone had been depleted enough that the Woad would be unable to re-perform the ritual to create the tree.

The Dryad also told of the ambition of the Wyrm who had entered the valley, to eventually become its ruler (instead of the Woad).  It could be possible to use this information to our advantage...

After learning this, we decided to descend to the valley floor and ford the Kelix river immediately, with the goal of travelling along the northern part of the cliff wall towards the poison tree.  The part of the river near the waterfall was relatively shallow, and had stones placed here and there that one could attempt to walk on. 

Unfortunately, we were unable to cross the river before we caught the attention of a small group of mud creatures.  These creatures were somewhat weak, but had us at a disadvantage since the river was sweeping us toward some rapids.  Aerandis became separated from the rest of the group and Brent was quickly immobilized from pellets of mud from the creatures.  Instead of immediately attacking the creatures, we decided to flee towards stable ground.  This gave the creatures the advantage, but we were eventually able to best them.  The last creature fled underneath the water and we resumed our fording of the river.

The travel along the cliff wall was fairly uneventful.  As dusk descended, we arrived at a section of cliff with enough stones piled up to lower the height of the cliff to 40'.  Luke decided to ascend the cliff face in order to drop a rope (so we could ascend and camp free from the dangers of the valley).  Unfortunately, a trio of plant creatures approached us after he had reached the top. 

Aerandis offered a friendly greeting but received only the equivalent of menacing glares from the creatures.  He proceeded to fire an arrow at the ugliest one.  Needless to say, this devolved into a nasty battle with Brent and Aaron being immobilized by vines immediately.  Luke swiftly descended the rope and charged towards the fray.  The whole party used the most powerful attacks they knew to dispatch the vegetable creatures, and after Brent had been chewed upon a few times by a large plant mouth they managed to do so.

Following the battle, they were all very tired.  The ascended the cliff face to make camp and plot their next move (including how to meet up with Dayereth.)

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Re: In the Forest of the Mad Woad
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2010 at 3:48am

The wings which Aerandis watched passing in front of the moon circle high above their cliff-side camp take a terrible form. The party has barely enough time to catch their breath when the wind from a 35' wingspan buffets the party.  In front of them is a green scaled dragon 9' at the shoulder with yellow eyes the size of mans fist unblinking and cold.

"I like my new sword mortal" Aaron feels the beast's breath from across the clearing, its poisonous vapors making him light headed. "It glows a lovely hue and will make a fine addition to my hoard. It is a fitting gift you have brought me and so I will let your trespass in my domain go unnoticed. The woad may seek revenge for the lives of his subjects though that is none of my concern."

A disk of blue light descends from above the treeline and drifts over to Aaron.

"Place the glowing sword on the disk mortal and make haste from my sight least I become annoyed with you."

Tired from your fight and climb you cast a quick glance at each other though your skills have improved since you faced the black-scale wyrmling this beast is  easily five times the size. Its scales dont yet have the metallic sheen of a full adult but still in your weakened condition you have little hope to defeat it.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2010 at 9:47am

Aaron knowing that he would have no trouble striking the creature from this distance, he also knows his companions and he would not strike more than once before the Dragon's breath would finish them all.  He stands tall, moving at a normal pace to the sword, reaching out for it in a reverse grip and willing the light be extinguished to only a fraction of of it's ability, still dim as well.  He considers casting its powers out to its full size and power (20 squares and bright light) and use it's power to strike out at the dragon several times before he slowly sheaths the weapon, turning off the light completely as he does so.  Slowly he removes his scabbard from his belt.

Using his diplomatic abilities, +9 , he says, "It is so dark down here that a mere dagger, to you, and it's illumination ability are more important to you then to simply speak to those who might wish to help you...for both their gain?"  not pausing only to extinguish any mixed meaning but still being very close to the edge of being rude, he continues, "I am a mere mortal as are my companions yet we more than understand that with all the power you possess, a bargain might be struck without the need for, removing a treasured possession.  One I might add that would aid me as it has this night against our common foe.  I am sure as well that if the woad were to seek us out or if and when we engage him, such a civilized conversation would NOT be possible as it is with you."  Aaron bows, curtly and formerly then, laying the sword at his feet.

"If you wish to rob me..." he pauses, letting the word hang, then continues, "of the weapon, that would surely aid me and weaken us on our mission, then by all means, please take it.  I doubt now, we would be able to do much against the woad now or his allies at least effectively before he is fully prepared for your strike against him and ours.  I mean we are all here now and his allies were sure to notice all of us here talking together.  When he sees us approach or knows that we still live, he’ll fully believe that you have allowed us to live on as we could only be your allies in coming down here.  In his enraged state, anything either of us said would be misconstrued to the point where he’d attack either of us on sight.  Then we would be dead and then he’d send all of his allies against you and drive you from this beautiful place, if he did not kill you outright that is…”

(I plan to be so diplomatic as to have him not take the sword, side with us, so we can both attack the woad and both go our own separate ways.  If he wishes afterwards to still keep the sword then I will speak to him some more, once he has considered all that I have said to him…)

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2010 at 9:57pm

While this is going on, Luke edges slowly to one side, away from the others.  He does not touch his weapons or make any threatening moves.  He only hopes that, if the dragon decides to use its breath weapon, it will not be able to catch everyone at once.

He shoots a glance at the others; his facial expression makes clear that he emphatically does not want a fight to start.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #4 - May 4th, 2010 at 6:45am

((Tough to diplomatically call someone a thief... tougher still to walk near a dragons lair at night with a glowing sword and not have the dragon want it.

Hint : "The trick to dealing with dragons is to consider their mindset and remember its almost like trying to talk your way out of a speeding ticket, in a school zone, with a sponge-bob book bag caught in your front grill...."

Still, if its a skill challenge you want we can pick this up on Saturday....))

Tongue

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #5 - May 4th, 2010 at 4:45pm

((Allude that he wants something that is not in his possession but in mine....I had the light extending to 10 squares, not twenty and with a dim light, not bright, allowing for the humans and low-light using friends to see better...not sure if we were that far from him how he saw it...but yes, we can continue on here...))

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

Flee the mighty water-bear.

New Orleans
Reply #6 - May 4th, 2010 at 5:16pm

Aerandis marvels at the gumption Aaron has in attempting to negotiate with the dragon.  In his home forest of Eytherash'ana, an invading dragon of this size would be met by no less than 20 archers and defeated with some loss of life.  His own skills have increased considerably past most of the archers of his home, but the battles of the day have tired him and he resigns himself to a careful inspection of the beast.  No wonder the beast spotted them--it could probably spot a campfire in the woods that lit only the surrounding trees, and the party was fighting in the open with a sword glowing enough to illuminate the cliff face and cast moving shadows of the fight.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #7 - May 4th, 2010 at 8:43pm

((not that we are running "that kind of game" but nighttime viewing distance of a single candle to a human eye is approximately 3.6 miles. (dim light 10-15 feet?)  Given a source of light 3-4 times as bright and an eye 4-5 times bigger in an environment with no light pollution it seems entirely reasonable that your beacon attracted attention.))

Besides.... what Kyle said lol. For those with access the draconomicon: chromatic has a good read on social interaction with dragons which may prove helpful for those who wanna cheat...or just get some insight on my thought process regarding these bad-boys.

(If I recall correctly we have take a short rest and reached a milestone -so 1 action point all around- but have no dailies left and we are significantly low on surges.)

IP Logged

Cowboy
Townfolk

The R.O.U.S.s? I don't
think they exist

West Bank
Reply #8 - May 7th, 2010 at 7:29am

Sensing that a fight may be eminent, Joseph steps forward with what little diplomacy he can must and the little knowledge he has of dragons.

"Forgive my friend. He means no ill will to one as majestic as yourself. It is just that....he is very close to his blade. And it's light helps us in our travel through this wood. Surely one as powerful as yourself has little need for such a worthless trinket. Why....I am sure your beautiful and keen eyes could spot a rat sleeping in the root of a tree with little more than a half moons light." Joseph eyes the beast and begins to slightly tremble. "If you would but hear my friend out I am sure some arrangement can be made."

With that, Joseph bows his head with his arms slightly outstretch to show subservience.

http://www.facebook.com/joshua.stelly  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print