Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MegaMinions (Read 1067 times)
beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
MegaMinions
Apr 7th, 2010 at 6:02pm

From Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

Lede:

Don’t you hate it when your players catch on that a bunch of monsters in an encounter are minions, then metagame their strategy the whole time? “Don’t waste an encounter power on it, it’s just a minion!” I offer one possible solution: the MegaMinion.

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Re: MegaMinions
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2010 at 7:19pm

You know I dont mind it when players figure out who the minions are... I think I try to go out of the way to make sure they know.

"A group of thugs grip their blades as they close in. Their stance indicates they have little formal training." This gives the cue that these guys arent hotshots.

I think character’s daily powers should be the most cinematic and used at the biggest dramatic moments. They represent a turning point in a combat encounter. Some may disagree but I think the proposed solution "Mega minions" is actually by definition "Meta gaming." I’m not sold that if you think meta gaming is a problem in your game, more of the same by the DM  is the best solution. I think “mega-minions” are fine if you want to use them but I’m not sure its necessary.

Some look at running the game as a way of creating layers of complex problems and having players utilize resource management play a key role in character success. I think that having players recognize minions as easily dispatched foes helps create a tone of “fantastic realism”  If I can face a dragon down, a group of thugs aren’t very fearsome. They could mess me up if I don’t address them but all things equal… “I got this.”

Part of the gripe against 4th skill system is that it reduces the resource management of skill points as a determining factor. If you prefer a game more focused creating interesting social interactions or story driven events (whether scripted or free-flowing) then Minions (regular ole variety) work their magic… as is.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Re: MegaMinions
Reply #2 - May 19th, 2010 at 10:34pm

I agree.  I'm running a 4e game now and use minions in nearly every encounter.  It gives the DM the opportunity to create a large scale combat encounter without spending an ungodly amount of time running it; at the same time, it allows the players to kill a bunch of stuff (always rewarding, especially since all my players are new to RPGs), execute a more interesting combat strategy (more targets, more considerations), and, I would argue, generally have more fun - all without taking forever.  After, all, (an extra handful of hits) * (a handful of monsters) = a lot of spent standard actions.

It is kind of an interesting idea, though.  Weird house rules/style adjustments are always fun to read about.  The blogs are filled with all sorts of crazy crap that DMs do to keep things "interesting."

Me, I make my players do a push-up for each point of damage they take.  Kidding!

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print