Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reimagining Aerandis from Dual Class Ranger/Shaman to Seeker (Read 1182 times)
yle-kay
Adventurer

Flee the mighty water-bear.

New Orleans
Reimagining Aerandis from Dual Class Ranger/Shaman to Seeker
Mar 30th, 2010 at 4:29am

Alright guys, I've been fairly dissatisfied with the dual class ranger/shaman.  I haven't been the most effective striker I could be in the past few sessions.  However, I still want the primal spirit aspect, defender of the wilds bit.  Thus, seeker seems an appropriate option.  It seems about equal parts controller/striker, and there are powers that call on miscellaneous primal spirits (for example, 'Call of the Ghost Wolf [I would change to Badger]', inflicts 1[w] +1d6 damage and allows folks flanking with the spirit to inflict 2d6 extra damage.)  Pretty much you're infusing the ranged weapons with primal power, or directing spirits with arrow shots.  Overall, it would be similar to Aerandis but with access to some area attacks, with effects like slowing, granting combat advantage, sliding, or random damage.  The big bonus there is that you get the range of an archer with those attacks.  The drawback is a little less total damage for a single target.

So, seems good to me but let me know what you think.

also, wyverndale folks, pm me with email addresses if you want a pdf with more info.

IP Logged

Cowboy
Townfolk

The R.O.U.S.s? I don't
think they exist

West Bank
Re: Reimagining Aerandis from Dual Class Ranger/Shaman to Seeker
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2010 at 7:06pm

The only problem I see is that some of the powers, including the one you mentioned, call for a light thrown or heavy thrown weapon that can be used as a melee weapon. Might limit your power choice a little bit.

http://www.facebook.com/joshua.stelly  
IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

New Orleans
Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2010 at 8:42pm

As I read it, they only require a light thrown or heavy thrown weapon if you use the power as a melee attack.  It took me a few readings to see that however.  Since I'm mostly ranged, it shouldn't be too much of a deal.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2010 at 10:18pm

Not for nothing but my reading of the seeker doesn’t seem very impressive at striking. You would definitely be more controller-like but somehow I think that as a group the 30+ damage rounds the striker routinely contributes may be missed. If dissatisfaction with the feat is driving your change you might want to reconsider that portion (though we all know you dearly love the badger.)

From a rules perspective if you think you have been a less than optimal striker (certainly the case by multi-classing) you may find that the seeker is a continuation of that.  Offensive capabilities of the class are significantly less than those of a ranger, the trade off being able to assert more battlefield control.

From an RP perspective: If you can embrace the primal spirits aspects without power representations though that might require a bit more in game creativity on your part. Things to consider.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

Cowboy
Townfolk

The R.O.U.S.s? I don't
think they exist

West Bank
Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 12:04am

I reread the rules and I understand what you're saying now about the thrown weapons. I'm not to opposed to you becoming a bit more of a controler because I tend on steering Brent towards more of a striker kind of fighter. That being said, you are currently the only striker even if you miss alot. Just messing.

You may even want to look at hybrid, but I'm sure you already have.

http://www.facebook.com/joshua.stelly  
IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

New Orleans
Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 5:26pm

I'll have a look at a ranger/seeker hybrid, it might be appropriate.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #6 - Apr 5th, 2010 at 7:09am

Another thing to consider is the beast-master ranger. You lose the mobility feat though can use the feat from the multi-classing to replace it. Contacting the spirits can be tricky though using the skill powers section to retrain into a utility power and rp it as communing with the spirits for that powers results could be a viable way rules-wise to

a) keep the badger but with an effective means of using it
b) not sacrifice much of your striking power or contorting your character concept

It would also be convenient story wise to pick up a creature that somehow didn't succumb to the woud's curse.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

New Orleans
Reply #7 - Apr 7th, 2010 at 3:40am

I think I'm going with a hybrid ranger/shaman.  It lets me use regular at will attacks with the spirit companion.  Summoning spirit companion is an at will minor.  Speak with spirits is a minor encounter, etc.  It really is a much better mix of abilities than the multi-classing.  Still a pretty good striker in my opinion.  Lots of strking power plus an angry badger.  I'll post my character for the world to see below:

Aerandis, level 5
Elf, Ranger|Shaman
Hybrid Ranger: Hybrid Ranger Reflex
Companion Spirit (Hybrid): Stalker Spirit (Hybrid)
Hybrid Shaman: Hybrid Shaman Fortitude
Hybrid Talent: Spirit's Power

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 10, Dex 20, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 10, Dex 17, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8.

AC: 19 Fort: 15 Reflex: 19 Will: 17
HP: 42 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +13, Stealth +12, Endurance +7, Perception +15

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +7, Arcana +2, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +6, Heal +6, History +2, Insight +6, Intimidate +1, Religion +2, Streetwise +1, Thievery +7, Athletics +3

FEATS
Level 1: Wild Elf Luck
Level 2: Alertness
Level 4: Hybrid Talent

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Twin Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Watcher's Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Singular Shot
Hybrid daily 1: Spirit Cascade
Hybrid utility 2: Assistance of the Strong Spirit
Hybrid encounter 3: Spirit Hunt
Hybrid daily 5: Splintering Shot

ITEMS
Leather Armor, Adventurer's Kit, Longsword, Longbow, Cloak of Resistance +1, Arrows (60)

p.s. I actually paid $10 to get the PHB 3 update to the character builder (you have to quick check the 'don't auto renew' option, or you could end up much poorer).
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2010 at 3:13pm by yle-kay »  

IP Logged

yle-kay
Adventurer

New Orleans
Reply #8 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 2:24pm

Description of powers (ranger powers get quarry benefit):

healing spirit: me or one ally in burst, spend a healing surge, add 1d6 (2d6 at level 6, increasing every 5 levels)

twin strike: ranger's 2 arrows

spirit's fang: badger opportunity attack, 1d10 +4

watcher's strike: badger attacks for 1d8 +4, adjacent allies get +1 to attack, +5 to perception.

singular shot: ranger shot, 2d10 +5, if no creatures adjacent to target, deal extra +4

spirit cascade: badger attacks for 2d10 + 4, allies adjacent to badger get successively +1d6 damage, 2d6, then 3d6.

assistance of strong spirit: close burst 20, spirit slides companion up to 1/2 my speed, spirit ends up adjacent to companion

spirit hunt: badger attacks for 2d10 +4, if no creatures adjacent to target, 3d10 +4

splintering shot: ranger attack, arrow embeds in wound, 3d10 + 5, -2 to attack rolls until end of encounter.

IP Logged

elwyn
Adventurer

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Reply #9 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 6:27pm

I think this new Aerandis is going to kick a lot of ass.

IP Logged

moyphotos
ShadowRun B
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Dogs of War
Keeberon Player

New Orleans
Reply #10 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 9:59pm

You know I like it too.  I tried some of the hybrid ideas but prefer the multi-class feats instead...the warlord's special and specific features got overshadowed under the hybrid system, which I did not like.  I tried a warlord/ fighter-paladin-rogue-druid-cleric-and a few others and it was crazy.  It's just not working for me, so I will keep the warlord as is....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print