Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WTD with D&D Miniatures (Read 1496 times)
beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
WTD with D&D Miniatures
Jan 28th, 2010 at 2:42pm

Folks:

So I played D&D miniatures for the first time recently.  It was OK, I guess.  Question: what's the advantage, besides saying, "I'm playing D&D," of playing the D&D miniatures game over a tabletop war game with a more robust rules system i.e. Warhammer?  I'm not a Warhammer player myself, but it just seems that if you're into that kind of gaming, D&D Minis would be viewed as a little weak.

So:  do you love D&D Minis?  Is your love stronger than that felt for other miniature-based combat-only games?  Whatever your answer is to either of those questions, why do you feel that way?

Maybe I just don't get it.

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Re: WTD with D&D Miniatures
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 4:59pm

Well as a warhammer player I would state that the rules are not as robust as you might think. Most players would agree that the rules are poorly written, poorly playtested, and full of vauge and/or misleading examples. The plus side is the models are actual models as opposed to "colectable pieces." D&D minis are prepainted and similar to Magic cards; you never really know what your getting. That said the rules are generally tighter... It is commonly believed that GW has a game for an excuse to sell its models where WOTC is selling a game and the models are simply the functional part of the game.

D&D minis is a game you can pick up and start playing in half an hour.

It would take twice that time to learn the rules for warhammer and another half hour at least to design your army (assuming you had already put them togther!)

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

Gman
Townfolk

A wandering monster attacked
me.

Belle Chasse
Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 11:16pm

I love D&D minis, but never actually played the system/game they're built for, lol.

I use them for encounters & actual RPGing...I wish they were lots cheaper...like maybe you get the "non collectibles" for WAY cheaper or something, that'd be cool.

Gman gmanv4  
IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 12:16am

D&D minis had a competitive league going for a while. The first world champ was none other than Tulane's own ( and former Wyverndale player...Ahh Oban we barely knew thee) Brian Mackey! Brian has moved on from New Orleans but I think still does some work/ play testing  for Wotc.

I never payed to much attention to their competitive game for the miniatures and I think that was the majority stance as from what I understand its no longer officially supported. Still for expensive as they are for toys they do provide an easy supply of minis for rpgs

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print