Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What makes a good rules system? Depends what you want to do. (Read 2910 times)
hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
What makes a good rules system? Depends what you want to do.
Dec 14th, 2009 at 5:39pm

So I’ve been thinking about this since I’ve read some threads about "This system is better than that system" and decided that anyone who says that about any system is right.

What I mean is that Pen and paper games have built in function. Mario Brother video game is not a flight simulator, nor is it Myst. If you’re looking for a gritty simulation of a fantasy reality, D&D (in any straight out of the box variety) is probably not going to suit your intentions best. Conversely if you want to play a fast paced sword and sorcery game the level of detail in some systems will slow things to a crawl.

Rules can be written to cover almost every situation. Refinement of those rules to allow for more and more realistic results can help create a certain mood for the game.
The original traveler was an interesting game. Every wound had a direct effect on a combatant's ability to fight, it was elegant and deadly. Making characters was not without peril. Characters would sometimes die in creation. Is it better than 4th edition D&D? Well for some things it is. If the focus of the game is the large scale narrative where each character is not the focus of the story but a small snippet then the traveler rules worked well to sell that mood. If you wanted to run a focused character development type game though the frailty of characters in combat almost disallowed that style of play.

I guess my point is each game system has a style of play it works best at. It seems that the much of the hate of the new edition is the realization that the focus of the game has been altered. Some say the game has been “Dumbed down” but that’s a normative statement. To really see what happened you have to look at what this edition is aiming to be. This incarnation of the game is designed to be faster paced, ( in terms of individual action resolution, not necessarily task resolution) with a more even balance of character effectiveness.  It doesn’t seem to have the “Rush of Power” feel that earlier incarnations of the game had. It feels like a mixture between “The basic set,” Chess, and magic the gathering. Like the last two, you can pick it up and get playing pretty fast.  Like the first it relies on the Dm’s and player’s skill to be more than just a complex board game. 

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

Casper
ShadowRun B
Erinian
Dogs of War
Top Ten
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Stark player
Esplanade

You want what??? For how
much???

Seattle
Re: What makes a good rules system? Depends what you want to do.
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2009 at 9:01pm

In general I agree with you but you can't argue that D&D 4 hasn't been dumbed down.

squares and moving diagonally

The 3.5 rule of every other diagonal costing double is a simple way to describe a real effect.  By making diagonal movement be linear with non-diagonal movement you destroy euclidean geometry and make the map less useful. 

The 3.5 movement rule isn't exact at all, there are more accurate ways to do it but its simple and not that hard to follow.  In my mind, making diagonal movement linear makes things worse and the 3.5 is nice and simple.  So, what is the reasoning for it if not dumbing down of the game?

Again, in general, I agree but some changes strain my suspension of disbelief, even in a world where there is magic.

Don't waste my time.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2009 at 9:45pm

I think Ive had this discussion several times but what if the "5 ft square" is not a square at all but rather like the Marvel RPG which had "areas of movement? The argument quickly goes to "Spider man doesnt move 4 areas a turn!! He's a 3 area move guy!"

Maybe he is and maybe he isnt but what is the game focusing on? If we want to create a flight simulator we can but if we want the Mario brothers pace its better not to consider how a plumber with tools couldn’t really jump twice his height.

The point is the diagonal move rule is essentially operates the same as the "knock prone rules." No 3ft humanoid is ever going to knock prone a 40ft dragon with a  6 inch club or worse knock him back 10 ft and prone. The physics of it could not happen. But the gnome has the right build its going to happen at least 5% of the time regardless of the level of experience.

Thats what the game is selling, a fast past cinematic mode. Does 1-1.5-1-1.5 represent a more realistic diagonal movement method? Sure. But its not quite as realistic as 1, 2,1,1,2 and none of them are as realistic as 1.43-1.43. Not to mention, running which doubles movement or quadruples movement and terrain effects each additional variable could be handled at some level of realism the level which is chosen has something to say about the type of game the system is better suited for.

As to my argument about dumbed down your right but not for the reason you think. It depends on your definition of "Dumbed down." Like a said "Dumbed down" is a normative statement. It offers a point of view as to what something should be not addressing what it is. I think the rules are less complex but Less complex is not  necessarily equal to Dumbed down. Chess has a more complex set of rules than go, but no rational individual could consider Go a "Dumbed down" game.

In previous editions there wasn’t necessarily a "bad move to make during combat." A "bad player" was someone who couldn’t sell their character not someone who lacked strategic acumen to play their character. In 4th it is much harder to play a highly intelligent character than in previous editions. Strength is easy to play, as is dex and con. To a lesser extent Charisma.(roll playing can help.) But to play a highly intelligent controller convincingly requires one to make the strategically correct move during  every combat encounter. Similarly the increased complexity of the decision making process continues throughout the classes. Playing a fighter requires more in-game decision making than ever before. Use a Daily? Encounter? Positioning and tactics are now very relevant beyond the mere “Am I Flanking?” This level of resource management is at least one magnitude higher than previous incarnations and all in a basic rule set that is less complex.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

Casper
ShadowRun B
Erinian
Dogs of War
Top Ten
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Stark player
Esplanade

You want what??? For how
much???

Seattle
Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2009 at 10:09pm

There is stuff I like about 4E.  I like how some stuff is made simpler.  I just can't forgive the diagonal movement thing because the whole point of the map is to give you a visual idea of how far apart things are and declaring that diagonal movement (which is just a straight line on a different axis) is equal distant when clearly it isn't is dumb.

Magic does the same thing with its areas of affect for blasts but that doesn't bother me because I don't expect magic to follow the rules of physics.

My basic problem with the diagonal thing has to do with outdoor combat and fast movement.   Suppose you are your full charging distance from an enemy, a mage, but halfway between you and him is his buddy, a fighter.  If you run straight at the mage you will invoke an attack of opportunity but if you move diagonally out to the right and then diagonally back in once you are half way you can avoid getting close enough to his buddy for the AoO.  But now you've traveled farther to do that... still you can get to the mage.  That makes no sense.  If I am the mage I am annoyed that I can't predict the laws of motion well enough to strike from a distance because distance has lost some of its meaning.  Its dumb.  The 1.5 rule for diagonal is close enough to reality without slowing anything down that it is dumb to change that.

They could have switched to hexes but that makes mapping harder.

They could have left it alone.

But they assumed the audience couldn't keep track of diagonal movement so they made a dumb rule.

I don't like it when entertainment assumes I am stupid.

But really, its the only big gripe I have with 4E.  Most of the other stuff that people complain about doesn't bother me.  As you said, each system has its strengths and weaknesses and you should use a rule set that works for the kind of game you want.

And unless there is something warping the rules of physics, I'd never let a gnome knock a dragon prone.  Again, its dumb.  If such a thing can happen then mass and gravity don't have standard rules.  (Magic breaks the rules of physics... that's what magic is and that's OK.)

Don't waste my time.

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #4 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 1:25am

"This incarnation of the game is designed to be faster paced, ( in terms of individual action resolution, not necessarily task resolution) with a more even balance of character effectiveness. "

Well from your original post you mentioned that it is how we use the systems that really matters.

By that note let me tell you how D&D 4th edition is BEST played. Not how it CAN be played because we all know game systems are somewhat flexible.

All combat should be "front and center" combat.

-   There are a million reasons for this. The game was designed around balance and easy of play. Nearly ever combat strategy other then "stand and hit" has no play in this game. Everything environmental detail changes effectiveness by + or - 2. Grapple anyone? This game is played as if you are playing with a set of miniatures. Game rules have very little else to say about it within combat.

All you should only ever fight monsters.
-  The game is literally designed to fight monsters. The game designers even say this. This affects roleplay also because the game does not do well to facilitate a more complex plot. You kill... monsters. Either you do it for yourself, or someone else, either way the monster is what is getting dead.

You should never fear other classes, just higher levels.
-  I am sorry but the fact the the game is so balanced can be a bad thing. I remember when fantasy was fantasy and shit could happen, and people could cast stuff you just did not know about or hence prepare for. All realism in a 4th edition world is gone, (or need a ton of work for the DM to create) as long as your party is the right level you will win. It used to be that people had tricks up their sleeve, or the monster that seems easy can really put a damper on your day because of the game mechanic. Not anymore; dumb simple rules are the law.

Do not expect any game realism.
-   The grit of low levels is gone. You start the game powerful. Everything you can think of from wounding yourself to having dirt in your eye means a - or + 2 bonus.

D&D 4th should maintain all superficial character relationships and characters.

-  This is harder to gather, but when you take everything away from character creation and all the nit picky details that a character is a being with body organs, dietary needs, and physical limits, it really takes the real life out of the game. Not to mention all the before topics. AND Skills....  What REAL person (or at least a person a play could understand or roleplay) has skills ANYTHING like 4th edition. "O I am sorry, you can't dabble". They are designed for doing one thing and that is to prepare to kill shit. There is not even performance or craft!! Why? Because you can't kill something with it. And it does not get you information about how to kill thing.

I have seen this game played with 5 different groups. Every time I see it played it looks to me like the players are devolving into high school kids. They proceed to just roam around trying to kill stuff for some princess whom they have no earthly reason to care about in character, but they manifest caring just so they have a reason to kill.

It is true that ANY game could be like this, but 4th does THE MOST to make it damn near a requirement.

"Play D&D 4th? Why not just buy a set of miniatures and act like there is a reason to kill the RED team."

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #5 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 9:01pm

The game does rely on the D&D name to establish its market.  I think the comments on versatility of systems though are somewhat off focus. Hero might be the most versatile system of all but it’s a bookkeeping and preparation nightmare to run. I find Gurps only slightly less so. But to specifically address points.

Clutch:

Still the gnome can knock the dragon prone so whats the solution? Apply the mechanics effects of knocking the dragon prone but instead have the in story description of the action differ than the dragon flopping around. Whats the difference between this and saying the diagonal movement counts the same?

As far as not predicting ranges because of diagonal movement it cant be that you have difficultly counting to ten can it? What you mean if that you think squares are distracting method of dividing space. Which is true. Counting 1.5 for alternate squares does not correct this distortion only makes it less distracting to you. Though as discussed elsewhere given odd movement values and the ability to shift and terrain effects it does not elegantly address the situation. Hexes are an elegant solution though they do make neat mapping more difficult and require rules regarding what portion of a hex constitutes inhabitable space. Squares are simple. You can count them faster than hexes and look better on maps in a world of square buildings. Its not ideal but  workable.

Still your assumption on their motivations is …..I’m not sure you should take it as a hit on your intelligence to have a simplified non bookkeeping method of movement. But yeah I hate it when playing risk that moving through Europe takes longer than moving through Africa.

Sombrenote:

I think your description is putting the cart in front of the horse.  I disagree with your assertion about combat. The array of status effect, movement options, and yes even grab, hold and pin rules that make combat much more dynamic than most of game systems out there. ( I was always a fan of the Top Secret unarmed combat system.)  I’m not sure about what you mean about only ever fight monsters though. Do you mean that the rules don’t allow for non combat situations or that they don’t support fighting npc’s?  Im not sure that I’ve found either to be true but I must confess many adversaries end up dead after facing my group. (No one seems to like using the intimidate bloodied foe rule.) Still delivering a captive to authorities was the result of the last combat encounter that they went through.

As far as realism goes, I think the game is more cinematic that gritty.  There is no regular mention of <ahem> bodily functions in my game (though there are sewers in the city.) To say there is no realism though is hyperbole. But I take it to mean that you prefer more realism than what the games is good at depicting. I agree the game is more Super Mario Brothers than Flight simulator.

I don’t know about fearing classes / vrs level. That seems to be spread evenly though-out all systems. I cant recall ever having a group of players fearing “The wizard apprentice.” Though the grand Wizard of the chamber of  the Seven, he’s probably a boot-shaker. But Maybe I misunderstand what you mean.

As far as superficial characters, I could not disagree more.  I guess the difference is  “do rules exist to limit what you can do? or allow what you can do.“ In a game with a vigorous specific skill system, you have rules to assist you in various critical tasks and skills that exist as flavor. Many systems give these skills equal weight some do not.  All too often vigorous skill systems are at best a crutch for role-play at worst a substitute or even an inhibitor.  In 4th you want to be a good cook? Rp like one. You don’t develop the character as being a good cook then they aren’t one. It’s the character development and role-playing that resolves the situation not a d20 roll and 2 extra skill points that were thrown in craft: cooking because everything else was maxed out. 4th edition requires actual role-playing and character development   to resolve these situations.  The justification for being a competent cook is no longer a point during leveling or character creation but an actual in-character reason.  Characters are by force more than an allotment of points but an accumulation of fictional experiences lending depth to the character.  Characters can be played fitting with their backgrounds without trying to constrain their backgrounds to fit within an arbitrary number of points dictated by a more vigorous skill system.

I am not saying that 4th ed cant be played like a version of D&D miniatures because we all know it can be.  The resulting game might not appear to different to the casual observer than a well run character driven game. The question is what system best fits the style of game you want to run. For a  high-fantasy,  cinematic style  strategic game with in-depth story related character development I think that 4th works much easier than anything else I tried.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print