Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mid South Con '09 Mar 20-22 (Read 1219 times)
Cybrludite
Rune Bound

I want my baby back, baby
back, baby back ribs!

Under your bed, with a knife
Mid South Con '09 Mar 20-22
Jan 24th, 2009 at 11:37pm

Checking to see if anyone else from down here was going to be making the trek up to Memphis for this one. The url is Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and of particular interest to gamers is that the folks who publish Knights of the Dinner Table will be there. Their gaming room is very well run, as well. As of the last few times I've gone, the local SJ Games MIB cell was very active wih running games.

"If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right!" - Chris Thomas King
IP Logged

Cybrludite
Rune Bound

back, baby back ribs!

Con Report
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 12:57am

Pros: Lots of gaming. A big room for board/card games, one for miniatures, and two for roleplay.

Great guests. Very accessible, too. I spent time talking weapons with Glen Cook, nuclear powered space drives with Stanton Friedman and Les Johnson. comics with John Jackson Miller, and alien sociology with C.J. Cherryh.

Costuming. Lots of hall costumes, and not just Stormtroopers or Vulcans. Of particular note were the nurse from Silent Hill, Sailor Mars, Silk Spectre I, Harley Quinn, and Poison Ivy. (Notice a theme going there?)

Hospitality Suite: Freaking huge, and fairly well stocked. Only complaint is that it was located in a separate building about 125 yards or so away from the hotel itself.

Music: The music acts this year were a folk/filk act named Wild Mercy, and the great Luke Ski. There was also a filksign which I missed due to going out to dinner with a friend on Friday night. (BTW, I really recommend Texas De Brazil. If the one in Baton Rouge is as good as the one in Memphis, it's worth the trip. Expensive, but so very worth it if you're a carnivore.)

Running jokes: Show the sheep some goddam respect before sending him to Room 302.

It Was A Dark And Stormy Night. Quotes are collected over the course of the weekend and a panel of writers are forced on Sunday to create a story using them, with the audience providing the main character and location.

Cons:
The hotel had a policy of no room parties and no booze in public except for the beer in the Hospitality Suite. I was reduced to carrying gin & tonic in a Sprite bottle.

The hotel's restaurant was shut down for the convention, except for awards banquet.

All in all, I'll be back next year.

IP Logged

Red Priest
Adventurer

I'm after rebellion; I'll
settle for lies.

Re: Mid South Con '09 Mar 20-22
Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 3:42pm

Thanks for the report Cybr.  

CoastCon was quite lame this year.  It's definitely no longer your father's CoastCon.  A con that easily drew a couple of thou 15 and more years ago, now appears lucky to draw a couple of hundred.  Except for Moorcock, there wasn't much in the way of guests, most panels barely drew a half dozen attendees and gaming was a bit off this year as well.

It's a shame too, because bitd, CoastCon was a damned fine convention.  I think what hurts CoastCon the most, and it had this problem even it's heyday, is having the worst organizational skills on the planet earth.  I don't know what it is, but year after year for 30+ years they just never seem capable of planning their way out of a wet paper bag.  Their past success was due more to a hungry for scifi & fantasy & gaming fan base, then anything the board did to run the con successfully.  You can only limp along so long that way. If they ever wonder what happen to their booming con, they need look no further than the mirror.

Looks like next year I'll be taking the extra long drive up to Memphis instead.

"Guaranteed by Dr Tarr and Professor Fether"

IP Logged

Cybrludite
Rune Bound

back, baby back ribs!

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 9:53pm

I wonder if part of that issue is due to how CC's con-com changes every year? Not sure how MidsouthCon does it, but with LibertyCon you know Uncle Timmy will be the HMFIC, Brandy will be dealing with the hotel, and so on.

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 11:46pm

I went to coast con way back in the day  (86ish?).   I got Elizabeth Sladen's autograph.  In person she was hot hot hot.  She didn't have the Sara Jane haircut.  She had longer
RED
hair.

I don't do cons these days.  It used to be the way I'd buy up a whole out of print series for $20.  Now it cost too much to get in and everything is a rare expensive collectible.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print