Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GURPS Combat Examples (Read 1363 times)
Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
GURPS Combat Examples
Dec 13th, 2008 at 10:30pm

This is a web site that has many different GURPS combat scenarios, melee, ranged, combo, etc.  Gives a good idea about how simple to how complex GURPS combat can be.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

beyonder
Adventurer
Keeberon Player

I'm so green.

Uptown
Re: GURPS Combat Examples
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 7:55pm

I just read melee example 4 ( Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register ).  It makes the combat system seem very appealing.  I like the idea of a wounding modifier that goes along with a cutting weapon, e.g. a broadsword.  I also like the idea of armor providing a partial damage reduction; is that pretty common in games?  Seems to make sense.

If I were to get into GURPS 4e, what materials should I buy to start?  There are tons of books; getting into the game system seems a little daunting.

1433-05    (11abc dist, 3.9 mean)
Selected-By: Tim Chew <twchew@mindspring.com>

The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:
> Are there any games harder than Nethack?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
} Life is pretty tough, everyone I know ends up dying.
nieltown debestest  
IP Logged

Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
Re: GURPS Combat Examples
Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2010 at 4:19pm

beyonder wrote on Jan 28th, 2010 at 7:55pm:
I also like the idea of armor providing a partial damage reduction; is that pretty common in games?  Seems to make sense.

It depends on the setting really.  Some settings that you could run in, armor just does not apply (Renaissance, 1920's Film Noir, Civil War, etc).  But in games where armor would be in effect (Fantasy, modern military, future battle armor, etc), yes, the AR actually reduced the damage taken.  The the better the armor the more points are diverted to the armor instead of the character.  The better the armor the more points it stops from doing the character or NPC damage.

Quote:
If I were to get into GURPS 4e, what materials should I buy to start?  There are tons of books; getting into the game system seems a little daunting.

GURPS is a sandbox type game.  The core books give you the rules and everything else is flavor or specific setting crunch.  The Core books are Basic Set: Characters and Basic Set: Campaigns, with these two books you can do anything and everything that you can do with GURPS.  I would also add the Powers book as a core book although it is not listed as a core. 
All the other books will assist is specific settings.  For example Space, Ultra-Tech, and Bio-Tech for futuristic space type games.  These types of books help the players and GMs with specific items, and rules.  But with the core books you can adjust the rules as needed for your specific setting(s). 

Also a lot of the 3rd Ed setting books are still usable with 4e, because they are mostly fluff and low on crunch.  So if you wanted to run something in feudal Japan then the 3e Japan book is still a viable resource.  Just to give you some ideas that you can still use all the 3e books that are out there too.

I really enjoy GURPS because it can be as simple as you want it to be with the basic rules or as complex as you can get with all the additional rules for realism.

If you are coming from a level based system, ie D&D, it may be a little weird using a point based system to start.  You can have mages walking around in plate mail armor and flinging fireballs.  The only rules there are for this type of character are the ones the GM makes up or allows for his/her game, but, there is nothing in the rules themselves that prevent this type of character.

EDIT: You can get GURPS Lite as a free download from the SJGames.com website.  It has everything you need to create a basic character and run a game.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2010 at 10:49pm by Kev »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print