Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My first real character! (Read 1289 times)
Passionate89
Broadmoor

Undeniable Newbie!!

New Orleans, La!
My first real character!
Dec 8th, 2008 at 10:05pm

I just made my first character and I wanted to talk a bit about her. Being new to all of Dnd I just wondered if anyone had any tips. She is a war wizard, and is an Eladrian. As soon as I find a way I will try and post my character sheet on here. But I was just wondering if anyone had any controller tips or any tips in general. Thanks!

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Re: My first real character!
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2008 at 3:12pm

Sure, we'll take a look. For us the character sheet is not as important as the depth of the personality you create, but if you are more interested in the battle specifics of your 4.0 character, we can comment on that as well.

One rule of note for a conjuration spells that is a little bit awkward, if your conjuration in 4.0 leaves out of your range the spell ends.

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2008 at 4:23pm

I think the most important thing about the wizard is make sure you choose at least one range spell and one blast/burst.  You don't do a lot of damage relative to some other classes but you are strategic.   Unfortunately this means ever wizard has magic missile and so you have less variation but its just stupid not to take it.

In our first 4E game I found that I was either picking off the big bad guy, doing the final hit on some bad guy a striker just hit hard, or using my blasts to take out large groups of minions.   The fighter types concentrated on the lead bad guys and as a controller I regulated the flow of the minions to keep my side from getting surrounded.

Basically you are really good at wiping up groups of weak enemies or cleaning up an enemy that's using the terrain or range.

I saved the encounter and daily for a big hit on the main bad guys or to wipe out a big group of small guys when we needed control of the battle.

Each round take out as many little guys you can or use magic missile to hit the weakest enemy.  Usually the parties advantage is power and the enemies is numbers.  Your range attacks allow you to pick which enemy to hit and that's how you control the battlefield.

IP Logged

Passionate89
Broadmoor

Undeniable Newbie!!

New Orleans, La!
Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 4:27pm

oh wow that helped a lot. I wasn't exactly sure what to do during battle. Because honestly I didn't choose a lot of controlling powers, but more attack. I'm going for the whole war wizard thing. But that makes a lot of sense on how to attack and help my team so thanks!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print