Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to GURPS? (Read 1410 times)
Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
New to GURPS?
Nov 30th, 2008 at 5:44am

There is a current thread running at the Steve Jackson Games (SJG) forums about switching from D&D to GURPS.

This particular person is not satisfied that D&D4 (or his old D&D) will handle the style of campaign he is interested in running.

Anyway, I thought I would share the link to the thread for anyone that has at least a passing interest in GURPS.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

humboldtscott
Broadmoor DM
Broadmoor

New Orleans, LA
Re: New to GURPS?
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 3:40pm

Thanks. It is quite an interesting and useful thread. I've been thinking about using GURPS for any of the three game ideas I posted recently. Reading over the cyberpunk rules, I've realized how outdated they are. Also, the character creation rules are built around classes specific to the genre, which is somewhat different from my "branded as terrorists" world. And Call of Cthulhu, while a nice lean system, just isn't that appealing to me, and the character creation rules are somewhat limited.

Which brings me to the problem I have with GURPS: character creation. Until you get familiar with the rules by creating dozens of characters, it's hard to know how to use your points most effectively. Given say 100 points, roughly how many points should be spent on stats/skills/advantages? The second problem that I have with character creation is that there seems to be a temptation to create weird/screwy characters, using the disadvantages. "My character is a hemophiliac!" "Why? How does that fit into your character concept?" "I don't know, I just wanted a 25 point disadvantage so I could buy this other thing I wanted." Quirks would probably be outlawed in my games...

Any ideas/guidelines for handling these problems? Am I the only one who has noticed these things?

I've always called D&D the DOS/Windows of tabletop gaming. We all know it sucks, we all know there are better options out there (Linux = GURPS) but we use D&D anyway because it's the one we were introduced to first.

IP Logged

Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 5:48pm

humboldtscott wrote on Nov 30th, 2008 at 3:40pm:
Thanks. It is quite an interesting and useful thread. I've been thinking about using GURPS for any of the three game ideas I posted recently. Reading over the cyberpunk rules, I've realized how outdated they are. Also, the character creation rules are built around classes specific to the genre, which is somewhat different from my "branded as terrorists" world. And Call of Cthulhu, while a nice lean system, just isn't that appealing to me, and the character creation rules are somewhat limited.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
These are GURPS 3E, but can be converted fairly easily to 4E

And just to make you go wow that would be cool, and whoa I never thought of running a game like that...etc

Quote:
Which brings me to the problem I have with GURPS: character creation. Until you get familiar with the rules by creating dozens of characters, it's hard to know how to use your points most effectively. Given say 100 points, roughly how many points should be spent on stats/skills/advantages? The second problem that I have with character creation is that there seems to be a temptation to create weird/screwy characters, using the disadvantages. "My character is a hemophiliac!" "Why? How does that fit into your character concept?" "I don't know, I just wanted a 25 point disadvantage so I could buy this other thing I wanted." Quirks would probably be outlawed in my games...

Any ideas/guidelines for handling these problems? Am I the only one who has noticed these things?

The thing I have learned from the past few GURPS games the group has tried.  Decide what skills, advantages, disadvantages, perks, and quirks will be allowed and write them down for the players.  Instead of handing the players the books and say have at it, had them the book AND the list of allowable skills and traits, etc.  I can see that this will help keep the characters (and players) focused with traits that will be acceptable to the campaign.

I have not done this yet, but from the past few games I have done, this will be put into play the next time I run a GURPS game.  I do, however, have have a 30 page PDF set up for DragonLance setting in GURPS that uses this concept.

Another thing to do is to get with your players individually and have them go over their character concept with them and make sure it makes sense, then disallow any skills, adv, disadv, perks, and quirks that would not fall into that concept.

Quote:
I've always called D&D the DOS/Windows of tabletop gaming. We all know it sucks, we all know there are better options out there (Linux = GURPS) but we use D&D anyway because it's the one we were introduced to first.

Yep, and most are unwilling to even give a thought to trying something else.  I have to admit, I was one of these people several years ago.  'D&D was the shiznit and I am not gonna try your great new so and so system.'  This alone has lost me many opportunity's to play quite a few games I would really enjoy playing now.  

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 6:02pm

People worry too much about getting all the disads and don't think through the pluses and minuses of the limitations.  Some people (david) just like to be weird.  You need to

Really its up to the GM to make sure the characters are balanced and useful.  Some good characters just might not work in the story he is trying to create.   And its also important to limit the total active points of powers.  Otherwise its easy to have one character who is so good at one skill it becomes the campaign focus.  Sometimes that doesn't matter, sometimes it does.

You just have to do it to get a feel for the right balance.

IP Logged

humboldtscott
Broadmoor DM
Broadmoor

New Orleans, LA
Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 8:36pm

The thing I have learned from the past few GURPS games the group has tried.  Decide what skills, advantages, disadvantages, perks, and quirks will be allowed and write them down for the players.
Good idea...

Really its up to the GM to make sure the characters are balanced and useful.
Great, when you've got years of experience with the system. That's the problem. The book gives no guidelines to the new GM (or Player) for how to accomplish that. Again, the question, what would be an appropriate percentage for typical allocation between stats/skills/advantages? I realize that's going to depend on the setting - more points would be needed for advantages in a world with superpowers - but in general? Is it better to put points into stats, or skills? It seems like I'd have to run a lot of math to make that determination for each character, but some guidelines would be helpful. New players, myself included, seem to get lost. It's certainly a disadvantage of a points system. A stats/classes/skills type game (DnD) allows you to make one set of choices at a time, without having to fully consider how it will impact your other choices.

And just to make you go wow that would be cool, and whoa I never thought of running a game like that...etc

Yeah, I know how much GURPS can do. Years ago, a long rambling conversation with a gamer friend began with a discussion of P.K. Dick's "Man in the High Castle." We ended up with imagining what Vietnam would have been like in an alternate world where the Germans never declared war on the U.S. following Pearl Harbor, so the Nazi's went on to conquer Britain and Russia, while the U.S. defeated Japan. We posited that the Vichy government would not have handed it over to the Japanese in the last days of the war, so the US never would have taken control. Instead, the Germans would have filled in for the Americans, trying to succeed where the French had failed. The US would have a role like China, supplying the Vietnamese Nationalists led by Ho Chi Minh. Now, what system could possibly accommodate players taking the role of US special forces aiding the VC against the Nazi's in this alternate universe? Obviously, only GURPS. Or fudge, but I don't like the +/- dice concept.

-P.S. I use italics because I'm too lazy to figure out the quote feature.

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #5 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 9:26pm

You can quote the same way you do italics.  Remove the automatic quote tags when reply, then highlight each thing you want to quote and click on the button to the right of the typewriter button in the edit window.  Its a piece of paper with a right pointing arrow meaning your text indents to the right.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print