Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2 openings at new table: several options - uptown (Read 2126 times)
humboldtscott
Broadmoor DM
Broadmoor

New Orleans, LA
2 openings at new table: several options - uptown
Nov 21st, 2008 at 9:34pm

Time:      Tuesday nights, 6:00 PM – 12:00 AM

Situation:      Having finally settled into my new place, I'm opening up a table. I've got 2 – 3 players lined up already. I'm looking for 1 – 2 more, as I like 3 – 5 players for most games. The table will be friendly to non-smokers and smokers (outside only during breaks please), mild drinkers (please don't get trashed at my table). Anything else, the group can discuss in person. Most times, my fiancee and I will provide a meal of some sort, snacks and drinks would be welcome. Sometimes, we might just ask everyone to kick in on a pizza.

Approach:      I don't take my gaming too seriously, but I am a busy person, so when we're playing, I want to play. Some small talk beforehand, and a bit of table-talk now and then is fine, but no major distractions while we're gaming. I use the rules as guidelines, putting the emphasis on role-playing.

First Meeting:
           December 2nd. I'd like to get the group together, have a nice meal, discuss our interests, and perhaps play a few board games. You're welcome to post or message with questions. Directions and/or phone number requests should go that way. Once the game is established, I'll set-up a thread for discussions of character concepts, posting a copy of the rules, etc.

The Possibilities:
1.Beyond the Mountains of Madness: Call of Cthulhu rules
An epic Antarctic campaign chronicling the exploits of the Starkweather-Moore Expedition of 1933 – 1934. The players will be Mountaineers, Pilots, Sled Drivers, Photographers, Scientists, and Dilettantes. They'll join a privately funded expedition of exploration and discovery, continuing along the trail first blazed by the ill-fated Miskatonic University Expedition of 1930 – 1931.

2.Escape from Sub-Attica: Cyberpunk 2020 rules
This campaign is a personal creation, influenced by John Carpenter (Assult on Presinct 13, Escape from New York, The Thing). The year is 2020. Back in 2008 on the eve of the Presidential election “Islamo-Fascists” kidnapped John McCain; Barack Obama was assassinated by the following morning by a white-supremacist nutjob. On national television President Bush announced to a stunned world that, to protect the constition during this difficult time, he would remain as “Steward of the Presidency” until such time as this matter could be sorted out. As bombs exploded in several major cities, his power was slowly cenmented through a series of decrees that amounted to a declaration of martial law across much of the US.

12 years later, the steward still rules over a shattered land. The players will be “political criminals” sentenced under a military tribunal for some offense, real or imagined, against the security of the “homeland.” Their goal will probably be simply to survive, at least initially.

3.Any number of things: D&D 3.25
I've got a variety of adventures and campaigns that I've collected over the years. I usually run an established world, such as Greyhawk, Al-Qadim, or Conan, and printed adventures, but I put my own spin on things of course. I use some rules from 3.0, some from 3.5, and a bit of house rules, nothing complex or onerous.

A bit about your prospective GM:

I've been gaming in one form or another for 17 years. I'm a 32 year old student at UNO (Elementary Education / History) and am looking for part-time work. I'm originally from Norther California; moved down here in August. I have an incredibly supportive non-gaming fiancee who insisted I put up this post, as she feels I need a creative outlet. I have liberal political views, a sarcastic sense of humor, and trio of small to medium size dogs. Anything else, just ask...
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2008 at 3:16pm by humboldtscott »  

IP Logged

humboldtscott
Broadmoor DM
Broadmoor

New Orleans, LA
Re: 2 openings at new table: several options - upt
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 5:32pm

Hmm....no responses yet, so clearly Dec 2nd is out. Dec 9 or 16, perhaps.

I'm wondering, has anyone read this post? Are these ideas not interesting? Are people already fully booked up? Is Tuesday a bad night? Is the start time too early, or the end time too late?

I've just started a new job, at Verti Mart. Don't have a long-term schedule yet, as I'm still "in training." I blocked out Tuesday nights, but once I've got a regular schedule, it's possible that another night would work. I just picked Tuesday because it worked best for my "core player" and myself.

I'm hitting up some folks on nearby gamers. Anyone have success with that site?

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 5:52pm

I think Reino is interested but he can't do it on tuesday or thursday night.  

I can only do one game and I am already in a group.

And I've been on nearbygamers for over a two years.  It never did me any good.  The only people I found on there I had found other ways.

IP Logged

humboldtscott
Broadmoor DM
Broadmoor

New Orleans, LA
Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 9:27pm

Yeah, I understand. Scheduling is a bitch (is that PG-13?). I would have liked to keep playing with you guys, but, being over in the Broadmoor, it would be a hassle to get over there every Saturday night. Plus, now that my fiancee is in town, she would like for me to be gaming at the house. With school and now work, she doesn't get to see me much. And, no offense, but you guys seemed a little unfocused. With little time (except times like now when I'm procrastinating on paper writing) I really want to have a few hours, once a week, where we GAME.

I've spammed everyone on nearby gamers (within a reasonable radius) with an invite. And posted on Craigslist (strictly platonic and activities partners), directing them back to this site. Casting a wide net, trying to find some folks who will be compatible. As Dennis Miller once said "I don't game anymore. It wasn't the games I minded; it was the people you have to play games with." (Ok, he was talking about drugs)

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 9:27pm

I got this email from nearbygamers.

Hey fellow nearby gamer...I'm starting up a table, perhaps you're interested? Some
details about my game ideas can be found here:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Grin

IP Logged

humboldtscott
Broadmoor DM
Broadmoor

New Orleans, LA
Reply #5 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 9:31pm

Yeah, I figured I'd hit mostly folks already on this site, or the insular folks who really aren't interested in branching out. That's why the message was so generic. I wasn't gonna put a lot of time into something that was unlikely to pay-off. But, I gotta try.

IP Logged

Passionate89
Broadmoor

Undeniable Newbie!!

New Orleans, La!
Reply #6 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 7:32pm

Hi I'm 19 and  moved to New Orleans almost a year ago, and I'm just now starting to get a social life! LOL  Huh But Dnd has always interested me. The guys would never let me play, because I was young then and well I have an extravegent imagination....I'm really new at this, but have played a couple times when I begged them enough. Plus my boyfriend has been playing since he could read. But I would really like to start in a new game here in New orleans. If you wouldn't mind an imaginative newbie who likes roleplays please email me at Passionate4knowledge@yahoo.com

IP Logged

humboldtscott
Broadmoor DM
Broadmoor

New Orleans, LA
Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 4:17am

Alright, we've potentially got King Neptune, Judithica (found via nearbygamers, so there Liam Tongue), Passionate89, and my friend Stacy, who has not yet joined the site. My friends, we have a quorum! Two more may join us as well, nearly putting us over my space and ability-to-juggle-players. Which is good, as we'll be able to keep going even if someone decides the game is not for them.

So, we're definitely on for December 16. I'll email or post more details later, just wanted to share my excitement....

IP Logged

Youbetterwork
Townfolk

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 3:22pm

Do you still have an opening?

My name is Buck Crutchfield and I have played almost every game you can think of.  I'm 32 and live in Midcity and work at Capital One on St. Charles.

Thanks for the email. Smiley

IP Logged

humboldtscott
Broadmoor DM
Broadmoor

New Orleans, LA
Reply #9 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 5:29pm

Sure, one more would be great. I've got 4 on board, but and one more friend who hasn't gotten back to me yet. If you both join, that would be 6. I usually prefer 3 - 5, but my feeling is that one or more people will likely decide the group is not right for them, or I'll decide they're not right for the group, so 6 allows for a bit of weeding.

This is something I've wanted to mention to everyone. No offense should be taken if that happens; certainly I won't be offended. Play styles differ. Interests differ. I make no claims to be a great GM, although I've gamed with a lot worse. Hopefully we'll all be compatible, but if not, people should feel free to decline after the first few sessions.

IP Logged

Phrostie_Ponder
Broadmoor

I Love YaBB 2!

New Orleans, La
Reply #10 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 12:26am

Annnnd I'm a goat.

Ok I signed up for this site just for youuu Scott. I will do my best to be there on that day to at least see what its about, it all depends on the game if I play or not. Just got my Magic cards airmailed to me so yay.

Phrostie_Ponder keeper_82_2002 keeper 82 2002  
IP Logged

NOLAGirl
Broadmoor

be excellent to each other
and party on!

Broadmoor, New Orleans
Reply #11 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 6:21pm

Broadmoor, my hood, cool

Haven't penned and papered a RPG in awhile, some scenarios just run too long .... I've been basically sticking to boardgames and card games, Warhammer online, City of Heroes, and my Wii.

Munchkin is Steve Jacksons' version of D&D, if you've never played it what are ya waiting for? Smiley
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I've got Carcasonne - a tile game, Catan in various flavors as well as Munchkin and many more.  So many games, so little time, so few friends that have no life that  Grin will game with me!

IP Logged

Passionate89
Broadmoor

Undeniable Newbie!!

New Orleans, La!
Reply #12 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 4:34pm

I'm excited. Just to make sure we are still on for the 16th? And also I might be a bit late. I don't know when the bus on your street is going to pass the St. Charles street car so I will be there as soon as I can.

IP Logged

humboldtscott
Broadmoor DM
Broadmoor

New Orleans, LA
Reply #13 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 10:56pm

Thanks for the interest Nolagirl, but I've got 6 on board already. Perhaps one of them won't work out. And/or perhaps we could get together sometime and play a boardgame.  Most of my games are still out on the West coast waiting to be shipped; I'm a fan of carcassone, never played settlers, not a huge steve jackson fan (I always like the concepts, but it always seems to come down to +1-1+2-2, back to where you started, what was the point of all those rules?) But I'm not

I like "german games," war games, card games, anything weird or esoteric (i.e. not a monopoly or uno fan).

And if I'm being an idiot, and you're one of the people already in, please correct my error.

IP Logged

humboldtscott
Broadmoor DM
Broadmoor

New Orleans, LA
Reply #14 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 10:58pm

Reminder:
Our first meeting is on Tuesday. I've changed our start time to 8:00 PM for this meeting only, as I've got a one-off focus group job that will keep me in the quarter until 6:30. If you cannot make it, but are still interested in the game, give me a call so I can learn your interests, play style, etc, and speak for you to the group.

I sent ya'll an email with my phone number, address, etc.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print