Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Greetings (Read 917 times)
shawnmtoups
Townfolk

Kenner
Greetings
Aug 28th, 2008 at 10:29pm

Hi.  I am new here, so I thought I would give a little introduction.  I have been a DM for about a year.  The game is held at a gaming shop in Kenner.  I'm still kinda new at this and looking for any pointers or tips.  My current problem is trying to come up with obstacles that are challenging but not overpowered.  My group consists of 9 PC's averaging 5th level.  I think I will start posting a log of the game soon.

shawnmtoups nightsonsmt  
IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Re: Greetings
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 10:32pm

Early next week I will be posting the thread for the next in person meetup.  It will be Sun Sept 7 around noon in uptown.  Details will be posted in the thread so keep a lookout for it.

And welcome to the forum.

IP Logged

Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2008 at 12:35am

Welcome to the forums nightsonsmt.

IP Logged

Roitsko
Townfolk

i am currently into DnD
& BESM.

New Orleans 70117
Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2008 at 1:09am

ok everyone this is the DM of the game i found at Galactic goods. He is a nice guy. so thank you for welcoming him.

497614001 roitkodl  
IP Logged

humboldtscott
Broadmoor DM
Broadmoor

New Orleans, LA
Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2008 at 3:41am

Welcome, nightsonsmt. Running a game for a large party adds some unique challenges. What game are you running? (DnD I assume, but 3.0? 3.5? 4.0?) What style? (hack'n'slash? Heavy on the Role-playing?) any specific world?

I'm not sure I'm a good GM, but I do have 20 years or so experience running and playing various flavors of DnD. In my longest running game, many combats would end with 2 of 3 PC's in negative HP, but no one dead. So I guess I was good at keeping the threat level high without forcing them to constantly create new PC's. With more info about your game, I might be able to give some pointers.

IP Logged

shawnmtoups
Townfolk

Kenner
Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2008 at 4:17am

The game is DnD 3.5.  The world is one I have created, with inspiration from multiple sources, and its high on the horror aspect.

shawnmtoups nightsonsmt  
IP Logged

Kifaru
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
Erinian
Kallistier
Dogs of War
Intelligent_Life
oldEsplanade
Enlightened
JustSayNo

Run baby run

Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2008 at 3:38am

Welcome to the board.

If you want tips on how to put the Fear of God in your PC’s I’ve got one word for you:  Maimings.   Cool

The next time the group battles some large beast (bear size or bigger) instead of having generic attacks, have something specific like “The displacer beast attacks your left leg” or “The creature goes for your sword hand”.  I don’t care about point damage.  A creature like that makes a successful attack on a character’s limb and that character may find himself picking his nose with a stump.  I’m telling you, once characters start loosing limbs they approach the game in a whole knew fashion.  As a malicious GM I must admit it’s satisfying when a party runs in raving terror from an encounter every now and then.  The key is giving the characters long lasting consequences that don’t kill them.  This has the added benefit that the group may need to go on a side quest to find a magic user, magic item, or ingredients for a magic potion that will get the poor character his limb back.  In one past game a foolish mercenary lost her leg in a shootout and had to haggle with the rest of the party to go on a quest that would get her a replacement.  In the meantime she had to hobble around on a peg leg.  The best part was, as the GM I didn’t have to do a thing about getting the party to go on the quest.  I just sat back and watched the poor player barter everything she had to get the rest of the group to go on the mission. Grin

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #7 - Aug 30th, 2008 at 5:14am

Kifaru wrote on Aug 30th, 2008 at 3:38am:
As a malicious GM I must admit it’s satisfying when a party runs in raving terror from an encounter every now and then.

Ask Dahlia and Robert about the Darshore.  Oh wait, ask Dahlia, Robert was digested long ago.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print