Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Places to have meetups (Read 1722 times)
Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Places to have meetups
Aug 6th, 2008 at 4:45pm

This thread is for discussion about places where we could meetup.  If the discussion gets too long I might pull out the info on the places into a smaller moderated thread for ease of use.

Things to include about any place you suggest are location, cost, parking, hours, menu, atmosphere, and anything unusual about the place.  In particular you should include if it supports vegatarians, carnivores, lactose free, kosher, drinking, and/or smoking.

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Re: Places to have meetups
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 5:22pm

Pyramid Cafe
3151 Calhoun St
New Orleans, LA 70125

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register w+Orleans,+LA+70125+(Pyramid+Cafe)

Its open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner.  I'm not sure about the hours but they don't close in mid afternoon like some places.

This is easily my favorite place to eat in New Orleans.  (I don't go to the more famous places and I refuse to pay more than $30 for a single meal.)  I like it because it has choices for both carnivores and vegatarians which is important for the crowd I hang with.  It also makes meeting up with strangers (like someone knew who might join your gaming table) easy since you don't need to know their dining restrictions.

The location used to be a Mona's and the owner was the chef back then so the food is similar if you've been to Mona's.  He has changed the menu to suit his tastes but its still Mediteranian.  For a serious carnivore like me you can get gyro, shawarma, or one of the kabobs with rice or fries and all the pita you want.   A vegatarian can get humas, falafal, tubulie (sp?), grape leaves, or as I see it, that chick pea goop, the stuff that looks like human but its that other ground up thing, the yogurt goop, the Mediteranian hush puppies, or grape leaves.  There is an eggplant thing too.  I am sure there are other vegatarian things too but I don't eat rabbit food so I don't remember what they are... I just know every vegatarian I've gone with there likes it.   For someone who eats everything there are plenty of choices.

I used to work near there and went in about 3 times a week.  For lunch I'd get a gyro or kabob sandwich which is the meat on a big piece of pita.  I'd get it without the burger toppings (lettuce, tomato, etc.) and get extra pita.  With the lunch sandwich you get one side.  For me that's fries or rice but you can get humus or a greek salad.  With a refillable soda it is $8.17 so I'd $10 and be quite full.   Dinner cost $15-$20 and you will probably have some left to take home.    The only complaint I ever heard about the cost/quantity was that at lunch the side of humas is a little small.

I find the staff to be quite friendly but I do go at least once a week so I am a regular.  I haven't gone at night during the week much.  I used to go at lunch time a lot and now I go mostly at lunch time or late afternoon on the weekend.  It's never been full when I've gone but I hear that at night it can fill up.  The only time I've seen it crowded is about every two weeks on Sunday around noon there is a Universalist church that meets there and they push 4-5 tables together and sit about 30 people.   But in the same way, it should be good for our meetups since we can grab tables and slide them together as needed.    They deliver and its popular with Tulane students. 

The owner is a practicing Muslim and so there is no alcohol served but I have seen people go next door to the Bud's Broiler, buy a beer, and bring it back.  They don't seem to mind that.   I think the owner of the Bud's is a relative of the owner.

If the parking out frount is full (which happens a lot) then drive around the building to the back and there is lots of room.

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 7:39pm

We had one meetup about 2 years ago at the Starbucks in the Barnes and Noble on the west bank off the expressway at the Manhatten exit.

Coffee shops are a cheap option and can happen in midafternoon. Plus you can check the shelves for gaming books if you don't get yours from Amazon.   I don't think Coffee shops work well for big groups but it works for one gaming group meeting a potential new player or for a group of people to meet and start a group.

IP Logged

Red Priest
Adventurer

I'm after rebellion; I'll
settle for lies.

Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 8:26pm

I'm good for meeting just about anywhere, but I guess you could say that I have a slight preference for the coffee shops.  Additionally, although I'll meet there, Starbucks would be last on my list of establishments.  I'd prefer to spend my dollars on a local business.

Places that spring to mind are

Chateau Coffee Cafe on Robert E Lee Blvd at West End.
The Bulldog pub on Canal Blvd near City Park Avenue
Rue de la Course on Magazine St (but any of them are okay)

"Guaranteed by Dr Tarr and Professor Fether"

IP Logged

Ancient Goat
Townfolk

"Old School"

NOLA
Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 9:39pm

Yea, Chateau Coffee on R.E. Lee is a good idea...as well as the Bulldog.
However, I can't stand any of the Rue's...for reasons that would only matter to me.

How about:

King Buffet - Metairie
Juan's Flying Burrito - Mid City
Balcony Bar and Grill - Uptown
Cooter Browns - Riverbend
Nine Roses - West Bank
Angeli - French Quarter

I was trying to spread out locations for everyone to get a chance.

My life turns into sand...Immortality is my dream...Man shall follow my command...Sorcery shall conquer my fear!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print