Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
BabelCon 2009 (Read 6427 times)
Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
Re: BabelCon 2009
Reply #30 - Jan 11th, 2010 at 7:21am

hewhorocks wrote on Jul 27th, 2009 at 3:13am:
I tried to find out ahead of time what was what with gaming and found nothing listed in the program guide. I know a couple people wanted to run/play but with nothing in the program I figured might as well stay home and clean out my garage. Judging from the reviews...glad I did.

The game rooms were clearly marked on the maps, but the games themselves were not listed in the program guide. I was not allowed to include them because we were still adding games up until the first day of the convention. The final program guide had to be submitted several weeks before that.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #31 - Jan 11th, 2010 at 7:27am

Ancient Goat wrote on Jul 26th, 2009 at 8:02pm:
OR maybe we can take this over for next year and create our own turnout…with a larger room…and more tables.

That would be GREAT!  I feel like tabletop gaming is dying, probably in favor of video/computer games.

BABELCON 4.5, GAME HOST DISCOUNTS:
Run a 4 Hour Game:  $10 Off Day Badge
Run an 8+ Hour Game:  Free Day Badge
(a weekend pass is $25)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #32 - Jan 11th, 2010 at 6:55pm

Quote:
I feel like tabletop gaming is dying, probably in favor of video/computer games.

Its called World of Warcrack; taking away what little sociability the next dork generation has one click at a time.

IP Logged

Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #33 - Jan 11th, 2010 at 7:12pm

At several cons I've given a panel discussion, called "The Death of Dungeons & Dragons". But its a very specific discussion on D&D and its last gasp. Perhaps I should change it to "The Death of RPGs" or "World of Warcrack: The Death of Tabletop Games".

Hmmm.....

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #34 - Jan 12th, 2010 at 2:33am

Very catchy title.

As you point out, it is not just D&D that is declining, but all RPGs. I am of the opinion that D&D 4.0 is a perfect example of the "Dumbing Down" of game systems in order for them to compete with World of Warcrack. This does not mean that I wanted D&D 4.0 to fail, even after I learned of its system flaws. Quite to the contrary I wanted D&D 4.0 to become something of a gateway drug so that budding gamers could transition from WoWc type addictive games, to something that is similar in cheese factor but STILL a table top RPG. As their tastes matured they might be interested in trying some of the more serious games out there.

I have not seen the new numbers yet but I suspect, WoWc have grown customers, sales for D&D 4.0 supplement sales have been constant, and other RPG games have lost in sales.

IP Logged

hewhorocks
Wyvern

"

New Orleans
Reply #35 - Jan 12th, 2010 at 4:07am

I really think that the new eddition of D&D isnt so much dumbed down as streamlined. The Rube Goldberg  Style of games have much more limited appeal. The approach of the current game is more accessible than at any point since the basic set. Still it is much more complex a game than what was offered way back when. I think D&D isnt in a "Last Gasp" any more than say cribbage is. Certainly it is no longer the pop icon it used to be. It has taken its place in the pantheon of pass-times the have outlived their Fad status and will continue to live on in the collective conscious with the Hula hoop, Rubix cube,  the yo-yo and Tetris. All of these pass-times hit cultural relevance and then declined settling into the background as identifiable but not popular. So it will be for D&D and maybe to a lesser extent a few other RPGs.

Whether there are ghosts in that house is not for me to say! But, there are far more dangerous things than ghosts.

IP Logged

Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #36 - Jan 12th, 2010 at 6:04am

hewhorocks wrote on Jan 12th, 2010 at 4:07am:
I really think that the new eddition of D&D isnt so much dumbed down as streamlined. The Rube Goldberg Style of games have much more limited appeal. The approach of the current game is more accessible than at any point since the basic set. Still it is much more complex a game than what was offered way back when. I think D&D isnt in a "Last Gasp" any more than say cribbage is. Certainly it is no longer the pop icon it used to be. It has taken its place in the pantheon of pass-times the have outlived their Fad status and will continue to live on in the collective conscious with the Hula hoop, Rubix cube,  the yo-yo and Tetris. All of these pass-times hit cultural relevance and then declined settling into the background as identifiable but not popular. So it will be for D&D and maybe to a lesser extent a few other RPGs.

Agreed.  Same thing happened to Glamour Shots.  By "last gasp", I meant its last gasp as the dominant RPG. According to some industry insiders I've had on my panel, 4th Edition marginilized D&D, and put WotC on par (sales-wise) with many of its competitors.

IP Logged

Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #37 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 8:56pm

The good news is that we had about 15 more scheduled games at BabelCon 2010 than we had at BabelCon 2009, 14 of which went off without a hitch. The gaming signup book and assigned tables were a big plus, and all game masters on hand said their games went smoothly.

The bad news is that the people who submitted the Warhammer 40k tournament NEVER SHOWED. What is it with Warhammer organizers? Thats the third group of 40k players we've had, in five years, that submitted games but failed to deliver. From now on I am not even going to advertise a 40k game unless we have two other 40k games running at the same time.

Overall the gaming support was definitely an uptick from last year, when we had our gaming organizer bail on us at the last minute (due to a personal crisis - not his fault).

Now if we could just get some Warhammer 40k players who can follow through, we'd have a perfect gaming lineup.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print