Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looking for Summer Gaming (Read 627 times)
tdza
WhatNot

Looking for Summer Gaming
Jul 2nd, 2008 at 7:46am

My name is Tommy Rouse, and I'm looking to play some tabletop this summer.  I'm really interested in checking out 4e DnD (Warlord looks righteous!), but I'm also flexible about the system/setting.

I'm a rising junior at Northwestern University, but I'm originally from Bayou Gauche, Louisiana, about 45 minutes outside of New Orleans.  I'm spending the summer working on a research project on roleplaying in World of Warcraft, but I'd really like to get in some face to face interaction.  I haven't played that much tabletop; maybe two or three one-shots, and a short campaign in d20 modern, but I'm passably familiar with a number of d20 and Whitewolf Systems, I know a lot of lore, and I've read a -lot- of DnD manuals, from 1st edition on.  I also just finished my first year of LARP.

The professor sponsoring my research this summer, Gary Alan Fine, wrote a book called Shared Fantasy in the early 1980s.  Shared Fantasy was the first major sociological treatment of tabletop and roleplaying in general, and I'm interested in expanding on his work.  The easiest way to research roleplaying is to do it - an anthropological technique called participant observation.  Essentially, all I'm asking is to be a regular player; just a regular player who takes notes and then thinks about them later, maybe (hopefully) turning out a scholarly paper senior year where all identities are artfully concealed.  I've been formally trained in all of the ethics of doing ethnography, so I can fully promise to respect your privacy.  I view participant-observation as just that - participation first, observation second!  When it comes down to it, I really want to roll some dice, create a great character, and have fun.

I can provide my own transportation, I'm available basically anytime, any day, and I'm available from immediately until mid-August.  If you think you could spare some room at the gametable for me, please contact me at t@u.northwestern.edu and I'll be sure to get back to you as soon as possible.  You can also call me at 985-228-0110 or send me an AIM at TommyDZA.  I hope to hear from you soon!

IP Logged

tdza
WhatNot

Re: Looking for Summer Gaming
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 1:04am

Sorry, I meant I'll be here until mid September, not August.

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Re: Looking for Summer Gaming
Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 2:11am

You should make a post in our thread here:

Open table

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print