Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
character generator (Read 3580 times)
Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

character generator
Jun 24th, 2008 at 5:07pm

I poked at it for about 2 minutes.  It does some stuff.  I have no idea how complete it is but its a start.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Re: character generator
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 5:31pm

Its helpful.

It says I get 8 surges per day... I thought it was 6.  Maybe humans get +2? 
(Edit: Its from con bonus.  I missed the part where you add your con bonus to surges.

As a mage, it did most everything I'd want except I have to put in all the stats for my spells.  It knows which ones I can have and which I picked but I have to select to the type and damage and defense for each one.  I am sure that eventually that will be automajicked too.

Maybe I will stop by and help Ray make a character this week.

I am sure there will be lots of updates and you will probably have to reenter stuff each time so don't do too much with it... but its a good first start.
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2008 at 6:55pm by Liam »  

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 9:14pm

I found some excel sheets, and docs that do the same.

The thing is though4.0 is so damn easy you don't really even need it. In 3.5 and gurps it is damn near a necessity.

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 9:51pm

I guess I am lazier than you.   I like using the program to generate the character sheet, then updating as needed.  Works great for looking at a new character idea or NPCs.

If yeager knew how to use a computer he could use the monster maker that's out there too.

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 10:59pm

yeah but he doesn't, or the government would just take it away. haha

IP Logged

Jaeger
Townfolk

west bank
Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 11:02pm

i might look up this monster maker you speak of...

I was poking around with fighter builds yesterday.  Consider this:

Human Fighter with a 20 Str, 14 Con, 10,10,10,8. Wield a heavy flail (2d6 damage). Feats: Power Attack and Weapon Focus.

+5 str +2 proficiency +1 fighter weapon talent would give you a +8 to hit.

+6 when you power attack, which I assume happens in the math below.

Reaping Strike (lvl1, at-will): 2d6 + 9 (5str +3 PA + 1 WF) damage on a power attack if you hit. If you miss it would still do 5 damage. 

You would also get Cleave and Sure Strike, the first giving you a chance to hit two foes as an at-will power.  The second allowing you to get a +2 to hit at the expense of your str mod to damage, which would grant you a potential +10 to hit even without combat advantage at level 1.

Passing Attack (lvl 1, encounter): First hit: 2d6 + 9. _shift_ Second hit 2d6 + 9. Total = 4d6 + 18 damage in one turn.

Brutal Strike (lvl1, daily): 6d6 + 9 damage! Since this is a "reliable" power you would not expend your daily use if it missed. That's 45 potential damage at first level and you can keep swinging till it hits.

This character would basically function as a sturdy striker.  Rogues, warlocks, and rangers are the classes that are most designed to do damage.  Since this party doesn't really have a source of heavy damage, but is not lacking healers, making the fighter a damage dealer might help to tactically balance the party.

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 11:36pm

Or a rogue.  Get the striker ability and rogue stuff in the party.

IP Logged

Jaeger
Townfolk

west bank
Reply #7 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 11:53pm

Of course none of this speculation matters if Ray wants to play a Fighter with a falchion that primary uses a bow.

IP Logged

dahlia
StarkQueen
Stark player
Stark II PC
Kallistier
WhatNot
oldEsplanade

I Love YaBB 2!

new orleans
Reply #8 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 1:37am

no i guess it wouldn't matter, if that were the case. But its not.
As the sheet is, I have a 2pt advantage to hit with the falchion. My character doesn't want to get surrounded by goblins. When you are that outnumbered, ranged attacks are needed until there is somewhat even playing field. Assuming the enemy is utilizing ANY strategy.

Ray makes a fighter, who is a fighter, not a genius, not an idiot. Doesn't wan to be flanked because this is "the enemy" the only spoken fear of the area towns. And this was the first ever encounter with them, and possible the first ever combat outside of training.

Don't judge so quickly. Its insulting

suffrayver  
IP Logged

Jaeger
Townfolk

west bank
Reply #9 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 1:54am

Hmm... you seem to have taken my comment completely out of context and interpreted it as an insult.  No such insult was intended.  I posted a min-maxed munchkin fighter build and then caught myself and acknowledged that the game wasn't about maximizing combat capabilities, but about role-playing.  The combat competency of a PC is not as important as the character concept.

The only problem I see with your fighter is the fact that you didn't really get a chance to fully design him, and I didn't put a lot of thought into his design either.  That's the only reason anyone even suggested you remake him.

IP Logged

dahlia
StarkQueen
Stark player
Stark II PC
Kallistier
WhatNot
oldEsplanade

I Love YaBB 2!

new orleans
Reply #10 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 6:34am

I do need to revise the character, I was very disconnected last week and have not yet familiarized myself with the system, I guess I'm the only one who seems to have a hard time finding time and energy to learn a new system.

I do have a character concept, and loose background, it doesn't require many details for the personality to function. My only concern is my ability to role play in a setting i might not be able to logically interpret. As i stated i was acting based on perception a d judgment, not on how games are 'supposed' to be carries out.

i dont play games in general, i am not familiar with ANY of the computer games you guys talk about besides having heard the names...from you guys.

So I know what you mean when you are suggesting that my character is equipped with combat abilities that make him more effective in alternative positions, but if it doesn't make sense for the character (based on my view of the events) then I cant  make those choices.

If the game is meant to be played based on these devices then I don't know how to incorporate them with my idea of what role playing means. (The part where you create a character with set identity, perceptions and skills and interact with their surroundings accordingly)

suffrayver  
IP Logged

Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
Reply #11 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 8:52pm

Not sure where it comes from because I did not see it in the book, but, the generator gave my character a +1 dagger and some 400 GP to start.
So, I may have to rework a little.  Additionally, what method is being used for stats? I just went with how the generator is set up (22pts...)

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #12 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 9:42pm

dahlia wrote on Jun 28th, 2008 at 6:34am:
I do have a character concept, and loose background, it doesn't require many details for the personality to function. My only concern is my ability to role play in a setting i might not be able to logically interpret. As i stated i was acting based on perception a d judgment, not on how games are 'supposed' to be carries out.
If the game is meant to be played based on these devices then I don't know how to incorporate them with my idea of what role playing means. (The part where you create a character with set identity, perceptions and skills and interact with their surroundings accordingly)

The theory is that your character will select the career that is most effective for him.  If he has a high int he will be a mage, a high wisdom a cleric, and so forth.  The same is true of the abilites.  He will select, practice and use the abilites that work well with his style.  The character of your character helps select the class and make the choices.  But it is too easy to let it go the other way.

For me, I pcik the powers and those options and then in battle I look at what I can do that's most effectice.  I do that in character.  In the kobold fight I knew that I could magic missle them all day but it would be better to get closer and do sleep, so I got closer.

And yeah, most people care more about combat than you.  Its why a strong majority of the gamers are guys.

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #13 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 9:43pm

Quote:
Not sure where it comes from because I did not see it in the book, but, the generator gave my character a +1 dagger and some 400 GP to start.
So, I may have to rework a little.  Additionally, what method is being used for stats? I just went with how the generator is set up (22pts...)

Not sure why you got a magic item and I got 400 gp too.  But I am still reading the generation rules so I'm not sure what's supposed to happen.  It could be that equipment isn't working in the program yet.

IP Logged

Jaeger
Townfolk

west bank
Reply #14 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 9:44pm

You can use the 22 point system or take the default scores (16,14,13,12,11,10).  Scrap the +1 dagger for now and the gold.  We'll talk about possessions today a bit before we start.  You can start with the adventurer's pack as described in the phb, whatever mundane weapons you want to wield, whatever mundane armor you want, and 100g.  Any other items you're interested in starting with, ask me about them.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print