Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vampire: The Requiem (Read 7853 times)
Ancient Goat
Townfolk

"Old School"

NOLA
Vampire: The Requiem
Jun 10th, 2008 at 12:13am

Played for the first time (2 games)

Well, I'm an old D&D head, so I wouldn't normally play this.  But, since I'm waiting to roll a character for the new D&D "old school" game coming up with Red Priest, I decided to hop in with the Vampire folks for a trial run. 

My pre-rolled character is a Ventrue: Dominator.

The Ventrue are the movers and shakers of vampire society. Members of other clans call them "Lords". In times past they were the nobility of the vampire world, but, recognizing that the world has changed, have modeled themselves after the current elite - businessmen. The Ventrue are perhaps the most conventionally powerful of the vampiric clans as a result of their wealth, social influence, and commanding powers. The clan as a whole is quite conservative, be it in actions or customs. The Ventrue have their own etiquette which is nigh-inviolable.

Unlike the Ventrue clan from Vampire: the Masquerade, the re-imagined Ventrue of Vampire: The Requiem are not restricted to a specific type of blood. Instead, their minds have been subtly unbalanced by the power of their blood, cursing them with a susceptibility to madness, represented mechanically by a penalty to derangement rolls.

The Ventrue clan's tendency towards dominance is reflected in their clan Disciplines of Resilience (supernatural toughness), Animalism (control over the beasts of nature and the Beast within a vampire's soul), and their unique Discipline of Dominate (the power to control a sentient's actions).

The current game:

We're contract investigators in today's times.  We solved one case or at least gave our findings to those that hired us.  There was one comical killing with a book, but, I'll let the Red Priest tell you all about that one.  We encountered some "Black Blood" Vampire Eaters (killers) that wouldn't normally seem like killer...but, It looks as if we're going to have to deal with them again.  MORE TO COME...

I have to run, but will be back later to finish up.

My life turns into sand...Immortality is my dream...Man shall follow my command...Sorcery shall conquer my fear!

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Re: Vampire: The Requiem
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 2:24am

I have never been about to get over the anxt feel of vampire games. The image of brooding 16 year olds waring fishnets, complaining about their fascist parents all the while experimenting with store bought satanist ritual tools, and cows blood. All the while daring each other to go a little big darker and eviler in order to empress each others and feel just that little bit more powerful after a jock pushes them into a locker.

Don't get me wrong, I love Anne Rice, but I damn.

IP Logged

Ancient Goat
Townfolk

"Old School"

NOLA
Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 8:42am

Yea, like I said...I wouldn't normally play something like this...not my cup o tea.  BUT, it's kind of fun to get back into table top games after so many years.  No matter what it is.  I guess it all boils down to the people you're playing with as well.  We have a good DM (or whatever he's called for this sort of game) and the adventurers all blend together well. So...until we start the D&D, it's been interesting.

We now move on to a case involving a creature summoned to kill a fellow "lady" vampire who seems to have been involved, intimately, with another woman.  This could be interesting.  This creature is some sort of amalgamation of a few animal parts and other unidentified substances.  It seems to be a quick killing creature...and the direct foe of Werewolves'.  Don't really know where it will go from here...but, we shall see.  Update later.

My life turns into sand...Immortality is my dream...Man shall follow my command...Sorcery shall conquer my fear!

IP Logged

Jaeger
Townfolk

west bank
Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 3:29pm

i love white wolf's system.  the rules are stream-lined but flexible enough for interpretation, and the settings are rich and filled with potential.  the focus is on roleplay, intrigue, and mystery rather than combat, and the system really works for that kind of stuff... assuming you can find a storyteller that doesn't suck (no pun intended). 

I never did get a chance to play requiem, but i do own the book.  masquerade was my introduction to table-top rpgs and it was a lot of fun to play when i was in high school, or when i was skipping out of school rather.

IP Logged

Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 9:40pm

I've played Requiem in an online free form role playing thing on Mirc.  I enjoy the system and concept but have never played on the table.

IP Logged

Nerualiana
Townfolk

Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 4:54am

Hi im new to the forum.

I play VtR in LARP form. New Orleans has a group that plays it so if anyone is interested pm me and I can give you guys info.

I like requiem because there are a lot of cool things. Some things are the same but others are different.

There are 5 clans now, but also there are covenants. It gives the game extra flavor. Covenants are political or religious groups.

IP Logged

Red Priest
Adventurer

I'm after rebellion; I'll
settle for lies.

Reply #6 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 9:23pm

I'm playing in the same game as The Goat.  My Nosferatu/Lancea Sanctum usually doesn't speak much, but more or less sees his place as "the being that kills everything when politics, diplomacy, bribery, inveiglement and/or interrogation all fail".  Humans, vampires, werewolves, wizards frogs, shoelaces, electrons or whatever all become grist for the mill at such times.  Then he retreats to his ratty little lair.

I should add, however, that he was much less "shy" in speaking during our last session.  Hmmm .. that can't be a good sign.  Maybe he's entering a manic phase.  That would more or less signal a bad moon rising.   For everyone.  Including him, probably.  Possibly especially him.  Shocked

"Guaranteed by Dr Tarr and Professor Fether"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print