Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
damileor's mental journals (Read 1366 times)
david
Stark II PC
Kallistier
WhatNot

one bad dude, not two

harahan, la
damileor's mental journals
Apr 27th, 2008 at 5:48pm

April 13th
rudo and i found the group, though one member was missing (reportedly abandoned the party for other opportunities). there is a druid, whom i suspect to have elven heritage, named loslagost. there is a middle-aged human male that seems to be well acquainted with both forestry and psionics, called liam. the third is a young human female named dahlia, who seems almost brutally tough, yet is an arcane magic user. her youth causes her more impetuous decision-making, perhaps, but she seems mature from her travels and experiences.

when we finally found the group, it seemed that a demon had found them. actually, two, but we had followed one to where they were. the demons descended through the forest canopy and attacked us. i was able to damage one heavily, and the other only a minor amount. poor rudo was simply unprepared for the fight, and mostly did nothing or distracted the demons' attentions. the group we found proved quite capable though, and in the end we succeeded in killing both infernal beasts.

one reason the battle was a little tougher than we'd expected was that rudo and i had camped in a tree, and ended up trapped and kept up all night by a large feline. it never attacked, but the lack of sleep clouded my own judgment, and i was more drained mentally. oh well, we passed that obstacle.

after fighting the demons, we determined that finding out about the strange marks that the group had would be the best start. I had once had a mark myself, though it has been suppressed. our hope is to find information and a way to permanently remove the marks, or at the very least to suppress liam's, dahlia's, and loslagost's marks. we headed towards a small farming community that had no real name, but a few permanent structures that we could utilize as available and necessary. we met up with our contact and discovered that there was a cleric in town working to indoctrinate the locals. this cleric had little useful skill though, and was known to use foolish abuses of his power to show that he had power, such as summoning zombies just to wander the streets.

the group and rudo and i determined to join together and search for a way to remove the marks and to fight the oppression of baalzebub's clergy. we would stay the night, and leave in the morning to begin such a journey.

the strangest thing happened that night, which i will never forget, as it was like a turning point in my life. i feel like my purposes are more achievable, which makes me feel more invigorated towards doing them. perhaps it was laziness and apathy creeping under a facade of purpose, but i was becoming sedentary and lethargic. anyway, the event. it was a simple thing really, and may not have touched anyone else.

rudo woke me up deep in the night. he then leaped out of a hole in the ceiling (we were in a hidden basement), where i followed. the other psion was there, as well as the girl. the druid had taken a leave of absence to commune with his divinity and brothers of his order, and was not around. i'm sure this didn't escape his notice though. there was a loud sound outside the cabin, and the occasional muffled voice speaking loudly. i looked through the window and saw an army belonging to a baron from the west, and they were marching as if returning from elsewhere. the men of the force seemed tired and weary, as would be expected.

dahlia ran outside the building and towards the front of the force. i gave pursuit to be able to help if needs be, but she stopped before reaching the carriage in the lead. she looked almost distraught, and then went to speak with a soldier. i had stopped some distance back and with the army's own sound could not hear what was said between the two. she then turned back to the house and went that way, with nary a glance for me. i checked the soldier she spoke with, but he was simply marching on. i returned the house after her.

she and liam were talking. apparently the carriage held some sort of force over her, creating an urge that seemed to be covetous, destructive, and repulsive all at once, and yet she was compelled stronger as she approached the carriage to stop and turn away. it seemed strange, and after a moment's discussion, she and liam decided it could wait.

it was that army's marching though, unabated through a town in the middle of the night, that made me remember that you must actually do what needs to be done to get anything done. whatever force this baron faced, he faced it directly. well, directly by sending other men to die in his name, but he did not wait and let the enemy make the next move. this is what i needed to do to fight this oppression. i had to be more active, and go to the frontline. otherwise, i was waiting for the clergy to grow and come after me in earnest, in spite of the mark they'd already given me. i can't simply wait for a demon to track me down, and if i must, i must take as many of the enemy before my own time came, as i was otherwise letting them grow stronger while i simply stand by and rot.

the next day we left town. we stopped in the forest a way out, and talked about the general plan of action. we decided that we could perform an operation locally that would both attack the oppressive force in town, and would also help us to learn more about the marks. we would kidnap the leading cleric in town, who had been described to us as a pompous moron more than a force to be reckoned with. rudo was sent for reconnaissance, and liam, dahlia, and i waited in the woods. rudo returned with word that a ritual was to be undertaken this evening at the cleric's residence, meaning he would be at home but not alone. the ritual was to be a vulgar orgy of sin, which seemed to me to serve no meaningful purpose other than copulation. perhaps it is this demon's bidding, baalzebub, that they do such a thing. that would seem inline with the attitude of such a beast. at any rate, if we were to do the task this night, it would be difficult but most likely possible.

we re-entered town in the night, towards mid-night. we saw the building the ritual was occurring within, and saw that only two men were at watch, and one was watching inward through a window rather than out. liam shot the man, though his hits did not fell the resilient guard as quick as we'd anticipated. rudo charged the man with his characteristic lightning speed, though his impact was imperfect as the man tried to dodge. seeing that he hadn't quit fallen, i used my power of mindthrust to finally put him down. rudo drug him off into an alley and hid the body. we then went to the other guard’s post. liam crossed a street to get a good shot at the guard. rudo had prepared for another charge from a distance to maximize his impact and remain hidden before charging. the guard apparently saw liam, and watched the corner of the building. as liam peeked around the corner, the guard was looking directly at him, and so liam had to move elsewhere. dahlia and i were waiting in reserve again. all of the sudden three arrows came from the far end of the building, where the guard wasn't looking. one hit the building and disipated, another hit the guard in the shoulder, and the final one hit im directly in the forehead, slaying him instantly. rudo had started running, but stopped halfway there when he saw this result.  it seemed definite that after the first guard, liam was not chancing anything, and wasted no effort in killing the man quicker this time. it was mildly disconcerting that the arrows dissipated, leaving nothing but holes in the man's shoulder and head, but knowing they were created in a fashion i can personally appreciate, i did not make any comment. besides, we had tougher work yet to come.

after the guards were taken care of, it was necessary to see what our next step could and would be, as we did not already know the exact situation. we looked in the windows and saw that many participants in the ritual were still awake and...active...including the head cleric. there was little way to abscond with the cleric unnoticed, and killing so many foolish followers was a distasteful option, at best. not to mention the difficulty in doing such a thing. we backed away from the building for a moment to discuss our options and try to come up with a good enough plan.

the druid may have had divine spells that could have helped to hold, distract, and/or disable the majority of the participants while we take the cleric, but no matter what he could have done, he was not with us. dahlia's spells primarily helped her alone, or were only useful in combat when fighting a single foe, or no more than a handful. she could not handle the whole room (about twenty people, give or take) without killing so many folks, which was not a viable option. rudo's skills could perhaps get him in fast, and there was a slim chance he could have grabbed the cleric and taken him out, but it was so unlikely the plan was almost ridiculous. dahlia was almost ready to consider stripping to the nude and wearing only one of the guards' holy symbols to gain entry and access to the cleric, and use her ability and prowess to capture the cleric by force. this wasn't a good option either. even liam, who originally thought the plan to kidnap him was the highest priority, was beginning to rethink tonight as a good time for it. it was then i remembered that i can contribute my own powers.

while my focus is metacreativity, i can do a little of other things with my mental abilities as well. while i cannot control an object and move it gently where i would like, as a kineticist probably could, i can pick up an object, or a person, and fling it with great force. i mentioned this, and we worked out the plan to have rudo and dahlia wait a distance from the door, and liam and i near the entrance. i would signal liam, who would open the door, and then i'd use my telekinetic thrust to hurl the cleric straight out the door from his position within the room. provided his ambient will was not too great for me to grab him, he would simply be pulled by an unknown force, leaving everyone inside in confusion and the cleric in an even more alarmed state. the people inside may not even realize that the event was not preordained, and go about their business without leaving the building. after the cleric flew out the door, liam would close the door via a rope he'd secured to the knob, so that he would not be in the doorway blocking the cleric or in a position to be seen. once the cleric landed outside, dahlia and rudo could pummel the man into unconsciousness, and we'd leave the town. this all went according to plan, almost perfectly. after i initiated my thrust and the cleric launched from the building, liam closed the door without any complication, and the cleric was heard landing in a naked heap in the alley across the street. i had such energy from the attack that i was able to run over to where the cleric had landed and lay partially dazed, all before either of the other two there could do anything. i hit him once, perhaps nothing of much consequence to his health. rudo was on the attack by then, and used his expert martial talents and in two quick hits nearly killed the man, but left him deeply unconscious instead. we then discussed our escape plan, decided that dahlia could grab the man and fly to a predetermined point in the woods while rudo, liam, and i left on foot. this worked, and the only witness to our departure was a drunk that will probably forget he even saw us.

the plan worked perfectly, and i feel that we worked great as a team to accomplish a difficult task. it would have been much different without all of our abilities able to work so well together. it gives me hope that we will be able to accomplish much in the future, from such subterfuge as kidnapping (though this was hardly subtle, just unnoticed) to more directly difficult tasks such as tackling demons in melee combat. teamwork will help us all, and i'm almost positive that the rest of the team will realize this. once the druid is able to rejoin us, we will have even more varied power, and be able to accomplish greater tasks. i am excited by the situation. 

ah, yes. the situation. we do have a kidnapped cleric to interrogate still. how best to do this?.....hmmm....

April 18th

Ahh, yes, the cleric problem. Liam wanted to "interrogate" him, in order to gain knowledge on the marks and perhaps some of the general religious structure they operate under. Somehow though, I don't think the cleric will just spit this out. Will this result in torturing the man? Here, I am at an impasse..

The cleric is evil, and certainly deserves no leniency in his treatment. However, we have him in a state of nigh helplessness, meaning we are in complete control already. If we beat him, torture him in another way, or whatever, then are we better than the regime he supports? I am fighting to lift oppression, including torturous coercion of common folks to join their cult, and here I am in a situation where I might use their tactics. perhaps I can merely abstain from participation...but then I'm guilty by association. I do not think I thought this through enough before committing to the plan, well as it went. The endgame, where I find myself, may be too much. This will take some thought and meditation, much of both before any action.

How can I justify what may come? Will it even be an issue, or will the cleric awaken terrified and give information freely? We aren't trying to convert him, nor do we plan to murder him, but his torment will be great from shame alone when we return him, and greater still if he is permanently damaged physically. His emotional torment will last forever, already.

This is not my realm of action. I feel like I am a stranger watching myself. Do I know myself still? Has my disciplined lifestyle left me bereft of other experiences I needed before this event began? What can I do now that I have gotten myself here? Will Ptah be forgiving in what I've done with the power he has allowed me to use? I am not his cleric, though I am a steward of his force and gifted to some extent with his creativity. Any action taken should not break my Sacred Vows, which only require great discipline of myself to help protect me and to control my negative desires. But what of my moral outlook in general? Could I become less good and more evil, blurring the comfortable neutrality I have so long embraced? I only want to do the right thing. Is the action that might be necessary going to help further a better cause? Do two wrongs make a right, as the saying goes? I feel that the end will justify the means here, but I do not like this. This personal guilt could possibly harm my actions until I can find a way to repent, though again it is not a repentance unto Ptah that I would owe, but unto myself. Is that possible? Is my own discipline such a force in my life that I can owe repentance to myself for violating my principles? Is that overly egotistical?

For one of the few times in my life, I can honestly admit to myself that I am confused. Liam might be surprised to hear that, but I dare not voice my own problem to the group yet. Though, my concern may be met with more accord and perhaps a discussion can help us all work around this. It cannot be that the whole group is so cold as to perform the cleric's own wicked acts. Or could I be wrong?

April 20th
We handled the cleric's interrogation with less finesse than I'd have preferred, but we managed to get the information we sought (more or less) and return him alive if a little battered and perhaps emotionally traumatized. The marks are family crests of demonic forces, though from what I gather it is more likely devils than demons, per se. at any rate, the marks are not of a language such as infernal or any other evil writing, but mere symbols. The marks possessed by the new companions are from a merging of these infernal families, and the cleric knew nothing of their origin as he knew only of the one family (the origination of my suppressed mark). The cleric was not able to provide all of the information we wanted, and stated that in his estimation the only way to remove the marks was to succumb to the infernal assassins that plague the marked.

We elected to return him to the town, trussed and tied and hung from a banner pole. Dahlia handled that return task, after we knocked the cleric unconscious once more. He would live, a little worse for wear, and should end up humiliated before his infernal lord and his parishioners.

We traveled a bit before resting, and after sunrise at some point Rudo heard the baying of tracking dogs. He awoke us all, and after explaining to the newcomers what dogs were (it seems amazing to me how different the future is every time we come upon a difference to be explained) we set off. Loslagost was to take a scented rag and confuse the dogs, while the rest of us would do our best to leave little trace by traveling in rivers and with minimal contact to our environs. We traveled only a short while before we were set upon by woodsmen with tracking dogs which were not fooled by Loslagost's trick.

The men, who were apparently only hired locals, set upon us from afar using crossbows. It seemed we had little recourse than to return fire and destroy our enemies, and thus battle commenced. I created a construct to aid in melee, and then prepared myself with an energy retort ability in the case that I was fired upon. Fortunately, that never happened, and the battle ended quickly. The men attacking us were not very tough, and Loslagost had summoned bears to aid his contribution and they handled the fight easily.

Nothing of value was learned from the bodies, though the tracking dogs seemed to take a liking to Loslagost and Liam. Perhaps they will be able to serve us as protectors and be able to warn us at night allowing for more opportunity to rest. Perhaps many things, but the future is always uncertain. Unless you've been there.

During the cleric's interrogation, which initially took place in a shelter Liam created, an unheard voice was talking to the cleric. It seemed to be giving him information, and was perhaps an ally. We finished the process outside of this shelter, and later I asked Liam about this disembodied voice. He said that during a large battle involving many magicks and dragons and a grand source of evil, the spirit of an evil mage was entrapped in his shelter, which his party was hiding in. The spirit is always there when the shelter is created, though in theory it should not. I recommended having a positive energy cleric exorcise the spirit if it can provide no use, and Liam seemed frustrated about the situation in general and I did not delve further. I will not enter his shelter though unless circumstances are dire, for I want no baneful spirits menacing me or even just observing me. That seems foul, on many levels. I am sure the situation will be resolved eventually, in one way or another.

WWW woody_two_soul lechgame  
IP Logged

david
Stark II PC
Kallistier
WhatNot

one bad dude, not two

harahan, la
Re: damileor's mental journals
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2008 at 5:49pm

April 27th
After resting a moment after our last battle, we determined that west was the direction we needed to head for two reasons: one, Number One was most likely held captive in a larger city near the river; and two, the army that went through town the other day was headed west, and Dahlia still had an urge to follow this route. I felt that humoring them in this exploration would hurt nothing, since it wasn't vastly far out of our way, and agreed with Liam and Dahlia. Rudo was more concerned with finding the cleric of Pelor to help the newcomers with their marks, but knew he was outnumbered. Loslagost merely wanted to move on, and was willing to join in whatever we were doing when we would do it, provided he did not need to change his position beforehand.

The only ones that really knew what goals were held with this army were Dahlia and Liam, and I think that perhaps Liam knew very little as well and merely supported as Dahlia's partner. I also think now that perhaps Dahlia had no clue what her goals were either, which will be evident with the results provided.

We encountered the army after a few days' travel tot he road and then following down the road. The rearguard was a couple of carriages fortified with crenelated turrets for arrow fire and both containing many soldiers. Eight to ten horses pulled these heavy mobile fortresses. When we approached, the men were short with us and told us we could not pass until the army set camp for the evening. We knew that despite our talents, fighting our way through this situation would not work, and so we followed. Nightfall eventually came and the army began to disperse into camp. after some time, we decided to go through as the road was never really cleared. Many soldiers and folks in the camp merely watched us go by, and with much curiosity for a number of reasons. Some soldiers seemed to eye us up as challenges, others as prizes, while many others minded their own business or slept from exhaustion. No one made move against us, and so we traveled beyond their furthest lines by about an hour's march. There we camped off of the road a little ways. The next morning, we made our plan to investigate the carriage that originally attracted Dahlia's intrigue, but yesterday did not affect her.

In the morning Liam created his cursed extra-planar shelter and waited within to be hidden. When the army passed, if things got dangerous, we could retreat into it and be hidden until they danger was gone. I refused to encapsulate myself within the shelter, as I want nothing to do with an evil arcanist's spirit. His shelter lasts around three hours, and he had to make it over again while waiting. This seemed a little odd, as the army marched for days at a time, forcing exhaustion, which would seem to indicate that speed was one of their goals. In any event, they eventually approached. We merely waited around our fire as if we were merely travelers resting a little late into the day, as our goals weren't obviously pressing to the army.

The frontlines of the force passed, and consisted of cavalry. The riders were trying to look like they were not bothered or concerned with us, though I could tell that this was a ruse. I warned the others of this, and we simply waited with a little more initiative should they do something. Nothing happened though, and the carriage went by. Dahlia seemed slightly perturbed, and reacted once it came within perhaps fifty feet of us. She held her place though until it went by. As the infantry were passing, they were still acting like something may have been about to happen. I took a short walk back into the woods under the act of urination needs, and used an invigorating power to help my health should the situation turn foul. When I came back, Dahlia took leave, apparently for the same reason, or so I assumed at the time.

The infantry kept moving by, and Dahlia had not returned. Liam was in his shelter and we were incommunicado, so I did not know what was happening. A few minutes went by, and then Dahlia returned, looking confused and concerned. Then, the infantry men attacked. Rudo and I were focused on the soldiers and knew by their slight movements and other such minutiae that this was the time, and were ready. Loslagost and Dahlia were caught unawares, and Liam was safe and out of touch.

The first volley of arrows did little damage. Rudo was ablw to sidestep into some shrubbery and unleash a blast of ki energy, and injured one man. I activated my energy retort power, as it would be useful with so many attackers against us at one time. More arrows came at us, and while a few hit me (not causing any real harm due to me previous use of vigor), my energy retort sent lightning at the attackers. One fell instantly, another was shocked and while twitching ended up in his ally's line of fire and he took an arrow tot he head from behind. Loslagost withdrew into the shelter, as did one of the dogs. The other dogs were confused. Dahlia and Rudo followed after Loslagost's cat went in, as well as one more dog, leaving me and the last dog. I really did not want to enter the shelter, but even though I could kill many of the soldiers, I knew I was outmatched. I went in, and the last dog seemed to come to its senses and came in as well.

While inside, the soldiers looked around, and eventually gathered back upon the road. A few of the horsemen came out from behind us as well, meaning that this was planned to some extent. I began to wonder whether it was a few men from both groups, orders from a legitimate commander, or some other reason for their attack. Dahlia reported that she had scouted the carriage under invisibility, and heard a large well-equipped warrior yelling at his driver, but did not know the language. She did not find any other useful information that she knew of. I asked her to repeat what she heard to the best of her ability, and what she said most resembled a strange dialect of dwarven, and equated to berating the driver for stopping. Liam was interested in my linguistic fluidity, and hopes to learn from me later in time, perhaps. As for the attack, Liam and Dahlia were ready to start slaughtering the army in guerrilla tactics, killing them all slowly but surely. Loslagost was not impressed by that plan, and while he wasn't happy about being attacked, saw no merit in killing the entire army. Rudo has a dynamic opinion, in that he seemed to want to kill them all, and yet saw no reason to, and I cannot tell what he really wanted to do. He did nothing though, in the end. I, for my part, did not want to kill all the men, as they may have been under orders, and I felt we would have had to find out who spurred the attack and perhaps remove them, but the soldiers following orders should not be needlessly harmed. If the soldiers all agreed to do the task without orders, then they were guilty, but I wanted to know before killing. We followed them a few days, and decided to wait until a night when they stopped, and then Dahlia went into their camp to scout.

She returned after a long wait, so it seemed to us, nearly an hour. She had wounds from combat, looked genuinely disheveled, and had a corpse with her. The body she carried was that of a man with a strange scar on his back and fresh woulds on his torso, and he was small of stature though looked wirey-tough. Dahlia claimed it was a fight he started, but at another point said she provoked the attack. I am not sure what happened though, but am curious, if not a little suspicious, of what really happened. She claimed as well that the little man killed the larger warrior she had told us about. She had no answer as to why she brought the carcass back, and she kept looking at it angrily and with some measure of concern. It was unsettling, and I am starting to agree with something Rudo had said to me earlier: She might be a bit off-kilter, and her skill as a warrior made that estimation extremely uncomfortable. I would not want to face her in combat, to be sure, and the fact that I could not tell if that would ever be necessary was not comforting either. Loslagost was perturbed equally, meaning this was a more recent turn of character for her.

The next morning she and Liam disposed of the body, and when they returned had some smears of blood and gore upon them. I dare not ask what they did to the body, but wonder if they are insane, evilly religious, or just over zealous in their hatred for this mystery person and wanted to beat him again. I simply do not know, and that is what worries me the most about the situation.

WWW woody_two_soul lechgame  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print