Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Darkness/Sneak Attack (Read 4552 times)
Guardian
Townfolk

Metairie La
Darkness/Sneak Attack
Apr 10th, 2008 at 11:36pm

Lets say i cast darkness and went into the darkness to fight using devil sight.  And lets say i was cross classed with a rogue would i get sneak attack.  In my mind i think i should but i am not sure.  I know if you are invisible you would get it but i am not sure of darkness because it does not state it in the text that the person is denied their dex.  I mean they could not see me in the darkness so i would think that i would get sneak attack.  I do not know if this is the right place to post this question but i asked anyways sorry.  Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Re: Darkness/Sneak Attack
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2008 at 12:31am

This area is for House rules for the Stark game... so if you are trying to get the DMs ruling on how he handles it in his game, this would be the place to post.  Otherwise, technically it should go in General, I guess.   I could make a place for people to discuss D&D mechanics (i.e. not house rules for one group) if you'd like.

I just consulted the SRD and found:

Rouge
The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target.

Invisibility
Visually undetectable. An invisible creature gains a +2 bonus on attack rolls against sighted opponents, and ignores its opponents' Dexterity bonuses to AC (if any).

Blinded
The character cannot see. He takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class, loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any), moves at half speed, and takes a -4 penalty on Search checks and on most Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks. All checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and Spot checks) automatically fail. All opponents are considered to have total concealment (50% miss chance) to the blinded character. Characters who remain blinded for a long time grow accustomed to these drawbacks and can overcome some of them.

The Rogue can use his sneak attack if the opponent is denied a dex bonus and being blinded means you don't get the dex bonus.  So its preaty clear.   

In fact, I think this means that if the Rogue is also blinded he can still sneak attack but would have to deal with the concealment.   So, a Rogue with blind fighting could have an advantage if no one can see.   I think the rules support that but I don't like it.  If you are blind your opponent has total concealment and you can only target his square. Even with blind fighting I think this should prevent your sneak attack skill from coming into play since you can't plan the perfect strike.   But if you can see him, the rules support you doing it, IMHO.

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Re: Darkness/Sneak Attack
Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2008 at 12:55am

Seconded.

The rules are quite explicit on this point (luckily). If you can not see a target, you do not get your dex to AC, and they get a +2 to hit (or conversly you could lose 2 to AC), unless you have blindfighting.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print