Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Woodland stride (Read 1246 times)
Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Woodland stride
Apr 10th, 2008 at 10:24pm

Druids get it at low level.

Rangers get it at 7th.

Widerness Rogues get it at 10th, optionally.

If we had it, it would be a good tactical advantage.

If Liam were a pure Ranger he'd have this now.

I am wondering if this is something that could be taken as a feat.  That is, an optional house rule that allows it to be taken as a feat.  And if so, what would the prereqs be?   Would that be balanced?  Is there already a feat somewhere that handles this?

Given that the Stark game is very wood-centric and that both parties have primarily focused on living/travelling in the woods, it makes sense to me that some characters could learn it.  But which ones?   It would make sense for Liam I think though I could make the argument against it.   I don't think it would have made sense for Nieran.  Add that to the mobility of the two newest additions and they'd be more dangerous but certainly it would fit with a monk's movement schtick if he lived in the woods, though again, you could argue that his excessive movement makes up for dense woods against most.   Is the ability something that should mostly be reserved for druids after all?

And then if you allow it as a feat that characters who are woodsy (say you make the req be 8 ranks of survival and 4 ranks knowledge(woods) or something like that), do you let greenbacks or those big-eyed barbarian things have it.  If so, those big-eyed things would have killed us early on.

Comments?

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Re: Woodland stride
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2008 at 12:35am

Well I don't know about wilderness stride... but I do know about wilderness club foot. When you step on to many thorns from walking in the forest for long, you foot will get infected with a bone diseased and blow up like a basket ball. Is that what you were looking for?

Wilderness Rogues are from the Unearthed Arcana, which is a splat book. Or in other words it is not core.

When both druids and ranger get that ability they can already cast divine powered natural spells, although wilderness stride only extraordinary.

What does it do? It allows you to be untrackable in your environment, period. And any obstacles that would imped your movement don't.

So i guess the prerequisites would be, being a nature based character, who can cast nature based spells.

Green backs would only get it if they were druids, and also barbarian would never get it as well.  Not even natural native animals get it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print