Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Old Goat, New Here (Read 1790 times)
Ancient Goat
Townfolk

"Old School"

NOLA
Old Goat, New Here
Apr 6th, 2008 at 11:17pm

Hi everyone!

OK, here's the deal:  I'm an old guy, used to play back in the 80's and I've never really lost the interest, but, I just didn't know if there were actual games or interested parties after all of these years.  We did everything on paper and only had limited books or manuals to use, other than our brains and imagination.  Is it still this way?  I know technology has grown by leaps and bounds since then, so I'm not sure about all the advancements.

I read about Mr. Gygax's demise and it made me think of gaming again.  I've always had great interest in this world that so few, if any, (that I know) continue these days.  I haven't done much reading here yet, except for 2 or 3 threads, so I hope not to step on any toes.

Mostly, for the longest, I've just played a ton of software based RPGs or online games, but I miss the old face to face gaming.  Are there any old guys out there that still do this sort of thing...or is it all youth?  I was one of the lucky ones that lost everything in Katrina, so I don't have any of the old books, manuals, or even my favorite dice collection.

So, basically, I wanted to just introduce myself and see how the world of RPGs is doing today.

Glad to see something his happening here.

Cheers!

---------------------------

Edit: I may have posted in the wrong area...if you'd like (admin or mods) to move this to the General Topics in gaming, please do so.  Thanks.

My life turns into sand...Immortality is my dream...Man shall follow my command...Sorcery shall conquer my fear!

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Re: Old Goat, New Here
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2008 at 12:12am

The right place for the post is in players seeking games, I think.  You are looking to join a game, right?

The Stark group (The DM, me, others) just got our table up to DM+6 players so we don't have room for anyone new.

I know someone else recently posted that he got his group to full up too so your timing isn't the best.
You should check the area for games seeking players and see if anything jumps out but right now, I am not sure anyone has an opening.  You can always post on here and chat until something opens up.

Also, in the meantime you should check the threads on the convention in Baton Rouge.  You just missed the New Orleans one.  But if you went to the BR convention you might find some local gamers.

You should go join this site and this particular area:   Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register;  Meetup.com is a great placeto meet people with specific interests because its so big that a lot of people know about it and its quite diverse... but its a commercial site so someone has to pay for each area that allows people to meet up.  In this case, a group paid for a few months so they could add someone.  I don't think anyone from that group visits here.   I made this forum because I don't like the commercial aspects of meetup but other than that, its the best way to find people with specific interests when you just move to an area.

You should be more specific about what you are looking for too in this thread.  Most importantly is when you can play.  The stark group, for example, meets saturday nights around 5:30 weekly.   Are you looking for a weekly or bi weekly game and what days are best?  And sometimes our group can't meet because someone is out and we just go out for food and RPG chat.  Would you want to do that?

IP Logged

Ancient Goat
Townfolk

"Old School"

NOLA
Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2008 at 5:17am

Thanks, Liam...I believe you're right.  I got here about a month or so late.  Games filled up, NOLAcon over, and an open spot for a game that seems to be for a certain sexual preference. Not sure if that's for me.

I guess,  specifically, I was glad to find a NOLA gaming forum for table top RPGs, so I chimed in to see how it's still going.  In all seriousness, It's been so long since I've played that I'd probably have to learn everything again...or at least learn what's new in the world of RPGs.  I once had some very high level characters.  That would have to begin again as well.  My best times to play would be after 5pm any weekday or possibly one day per weekend.

Maybe what I could do, as you've suggested, is to meet up for some RPG chat whenever you guys are on a dinner night.  It would be great to hear about the new events and games around town.  Is there an average age around here? I have another guy interested, so I'll tell him about the forum and see if we can get a game going, maybe even at my place sometime soon. I'll keep checking back from time to time for updates.  Thanks again...glad to be here!

My life turns into sand...Immortality is my dream...Man shall follow my command...Sorcery shall conquer my fear!

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #3 - Apr 7th, 2008 at 5:32am

I played chainmail and kaos, who doesn't post much here is around my age so its not all young'ins.

I don't think Nik's game requires that you be gay but some members of it are.  The bigger issue is its Whitewolf and if you haven't played outside of TSR games, then storyteller or GURPS or Feng Shui will all seem like alien systems.

You might want to contact Karloff.   I know he said his game is full but he is a rabid 2.0 player and you might recognize 2.0 D&D more than 3.0 or 3.5.  Who knows, he might have an opening sometime.

With 7 people (DM+6 players) I think its less likely that we will have a game night off in the near future.  If you are around the CBD at lunch time we could always do lunch.

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2008 at 5:44am

We often do not get in full swing on Saturday until about 6:30. I am sure if you wanted to drop by on a Saturday game night some time and just talk with some of the other players that would be welcomed.

IP Logged

Ancient Goat
Townfolk

"Old School"

NOLA
Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2008 at 5:52am

Cool...what part of town do you guys meet?  I'm in the lake area.

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2008 at 5:54am

Its a big lake.  What's the "lake area"?

The game meets on the edge of the french quarter near the CBD.

IP Logged

Ancient Goat
Townfolk

"Old School"

NOLA
Reply #7 - Apr 7th, 2008 at 6:01am

West End area of the lake Pontchartrain, Southshore.

IP Logged

Red Priest
Adventurer

I'm after rebellion; I'll
settle for lies.

Reply #8 - Apr 8th, 2008 at 9:29pm

Heya Goat, you're in my neck 'o the woods.  I'm in Lakeview near the lake.  Every other Friday night at 7pm our group plays Rolemaster 2nd Edition (that's the '80s edition) and we have a game every Wednesday in Metaire (near Rummel).  Right now on Wednesday we're playing Dark Heresy, which is a Warhammer game.   The Rolemaster game is based in ancient Rome.  Consider it alternate history Earth with very low magic involved.

Our Friday group's age range is 30s to 40s, 4 players and 1 GM, and Wednesdays is 20s to 40s with 6 players and 1 GM.

The Rolemaster game will be wrapping up soon, and I plan on running an original D&D (yep, that's 1974) game.  This game will be steeped deeply in the sword & sorcery tradition of Robert Howard and have a good bit of Clark Ashton Smith weird fantasy thrown in for good measure.

Post here or PM me if you're interested.  This, of course, goes for everyone, not just Goat.

regards,
Rob

"Guaranteed by Dr Tarr and Professor Fether"

IP Logged

Ancient Goat
Townfolk

"Old School"

NOLA
Reply #9 - Apr 9th, 2008 at 6:14am

Hey Rob,

That all sounds like it's right up my alley.  Woo Hoo 1974!  Cool

I'll send you a pm soon!   I have to look at the schedule, but the Friday (and your new game) sounds great!

Sword, Sorcery, Fantasy...BRING IT ON!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print