Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
concealment and a natural 20 (Read 1237 times)
Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

concealment and a natural 20
Mar 17th, 2008 at 5:13am

Does a natural 20 give an automatic success against concealment?

I think not.

Quote:
Concealment gives the subject of a successful attack a 20% chance that the attacker missed because of the concealment. If the attacker hits, the defender must make a miss chance percentile roll to avoid being struck. Multiple concealment conditions do not stack.

Quote:
Attack Roll

An attack roll represents your attempt to strike your opponent on your turn in a round. When you make an attack roll, you roll a d20 and add your attack bonus. (Other modifiers may also apply to this roll.) If your result equals or beats the target’s Armor Class, you hit and deal damage.

Automatic Misses and Hits

A natural 1 (the d20 comes up 1) on an attack roll is always a miss. A natural 20 (the d20 comes up 20) is always a hit. A natural 20 is also a threat—a possible critical hit.

I think a natural 20 is an auto hit and then since the defender is hit, he can roll to cause a miss from concealment.  If the attacker has blind fighting he can then roll that and if he gets through the concealment its a normal natural 20  (i.e. crit threat in standard d20).

I have no problem with a house rule that says a natural 20 that misses because of concealment becomes a normal hit but I don't think a natural 20 is an auto hit, a crit threat, and proof against concealment.  That would mean you always have a 5% chance of hitting someone invisiable and when you hit, its a critical hit.

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Re: concealment and a natural 20
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 3:45am

I concede that you are probably right. I did not research it. But there is another point on top of this.

A hit in our game for many people who play D&D is not really a hit. It is just an attack that wares someone out. I know it does not make sense but it is the best we have.

From what we can tell, the only things that hit are the dropping blow, massive damage, or a critical hit.

When someone hits you critically it means they have actually hit you, not almost hit you. So what would concealment do when they got there shot right?

I guess it means that you WOULD have gotten the shot right if you had not seen the target in the wrong place. Which would mean that even a 20 would be subject to the same failure.

I guess a house rule might make the game more fun, keep 20s meaningful. But I don't really know. It would be a metaphysical thing only. If something had a 50% miss chance, and a decent AC you are pretty much screwed, as you should be i suppose.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print