Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
April 6-12: Charity work? (Read 352 times)
brotherbock
Townfolk

I Love YaBB 2!

April 6-12: Charity work?
Mar 16th, 2008 at 3:51am

Hi everybody. My name's Tom...long time gamer, for (counting...) about 26 years. Whew. Tabletops, RPGs, LARPs, a few card games (I must admit, Anachronism was cool).

I've got a question for you all:

I and a small group of gamers are coming to New Orleans, April 6th - 12th, to work with The Phoenix of New Orleans (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register) rebuilding houses. My wife and I were down last summer with Habitat...NOLA's somewhat of an adopted city for me, or at least a well-loved city.

At any rate, I was wondering if any of you wanted to come put in some time on the work site with fellow gamers. The organization we have started is called Gamers For Humanity (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register) ...most of us are Gen Con attendees, and in fact Gen Con LLC has been a gracious sponsor for us as we get on our feet. But essentially, we are people who want to do some good around our communities/states/nation/world, and do it while hanging out with fellow gamers.

This is our first 'event' as an organization, and while the group of us who could make it down was already small, a couple of our people just hit some snags this week (a court date that might not be avoidable, and car repairs). So, we find ourselves short of people. We'd really like to be able to get some serious work done during that week, so...anybody interested in helping us?

We have no real budget to speak of, but there are a couple of perks if you want to help: cool t-shirts for $7 each for workers (well, I think they are cool, and $7 is less than cost from the nice people printing them for us), and...this is my favorite perk...a special menu $25/person fixed price dinner at Brigtsens' one night of that week (we haven't picked the night yet). I talked to Frank Brigtsen just last week about this, and he's happy to do this for us.

That's all I've got. If you're interested in helping, feel free to email me, or reply here. If you want to help, you don't need to work every day during that week, by any means. Whatever you can do would be great. Typical work days, 8-4, although Friday is a half-day.

Oh, I almost forgot...we had a 'game drive', and we've also got a couple of big boxes of donated gaming materials that we'd love to do something cool with...but I haven't lined anything up yet. Maybe boys and girls clubs, after school projects, orphanages, etc. If anyone has any ideas for organizations in NOLA that might benefit from something like that, please let me know.

Thanks for your time. If you know anyone who would be interested, or have any ideas about where I might find other people, that info would be appreciated too. The Phoenix can work with about 15 volunteers that week, and due to this rash of sudden problems, *at most* we'll have half of that...likely less. We could use some helping hands Smiley

Peace.

IP Logged

humidcityloki
Townfolk

I Love YaBB 2!

New Orleans, LA
Re: April 6-12: Charity work?
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2008 at 5:36pm

Sorry it took me so long to respond. Loki here, I run the (barely active) New Orleans RPG group on LiveJournal. You had dropped me a line awhile back but I have been buried in deadlines and have been down with the flu for over a week.

Drop me an email at humidcity at gmail dot com and I'll send you digit so we can talk. I'll happily lend a hand with getting things organized and communicated to local gamers.

George "Loki" Williams

Loki&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print