Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
BabelCon 2008 (Read 5791 times)
Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
BabelCon 2008
Feb 19th, 2008 at 7:15am

I apologize if this seems as spam, but I feel thats its for a worthy cause.  As a fundraiser this year for BabelCon, if you use this coupon for your taxes, H&R Block gives $25 to the Science & Engineering Education Foundation (the non-profit parent organization of BabelCon) for each coupon used!

Download here:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Image deleted.  Since its for BabelCon I wont delete the message but I know I use the last 10 post icon to check the forum and embedding the image makes the message bigger than my screen.  The link is sufficient for anyone who cares.  --admin

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
Re: BabelCon 2008
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 4:48pm

Thanks!  I didn't realize when I posted it that the graphic was "printable size" too.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 10:25am

The official press release for BabelCon Merchant Room tables:

Babel*Con is a fandom convention held in Baton Rouge on July 19-20 (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register).  We are currently looking for interested vendors to participate in our Village Bazaar merchant's room.

BabelCon is billed as a Science Fiction convention, but our expected 800+ attendees for 2008 will be drawn from a large variety of fandom genres.  In addition to the Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror track, we also have entire rooms dedicated to Gaming, Anime, Science, Paranormal, Kids, and a full blown Ren Fair in the atrium.

Our headliner guests this year include Suzie Plakson, the only actress to appear as four different aliens in three different Star Trek series: 1) Vulcan Lt. Selar & Klingon K'Ehleyr on Next Generation,  2) The female Q on Voyager,  3) Tarah, the first female Andorian on Enterprise.  We also have John Hertzler, who starred in nearly 30 episodes of Deep Space Nine as the regular character General Martok, the changeling Laas, and vulcan captain Storil, among others.  More guests are to follow, and all will be stationed in the Merchant's Room.

Performing for our attendees this year are the Bedlam Bards, Nightmare Theater, the Orion Slave Girls, Happy Shimmies Belly Dancing, Pirates of the Caribbean Interactive, the Chi Institute Martial Arts, a Medieval Knighting Ceremony, the Rocky Horror Picture Show, a Costume Contest, and Model Rocket Demonstrations outdoors.

A great number of national fan groups will also be in attendance, including Starfleet, Star Wars 501st Garrison, Klingon Assault Group, and Battlestar Galactica Colonial Defense Forces.

In our giant game room, there will be Live Action Role Playing groups putting on demonstrations.  Tabletop games will also be played, such as a Warhammer Tournament, miniatures contest, RPGA games, card games, historic war games, board games, Dungeons & Dragons, and various Role Playing Games.

If you are interested in renting a table, the price for each 3 ft. x 8 ft. table is $60, which includes a free con badge, and 50% off up to 2 more badges.  If you rent more than one table, you get one free badge for each table rented.  Please let me know if you are interested, and I will send you the pertinent forms.

BayouHalflings@aol.com

IP Logged

Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 5:46pm

BabelCon is proud to announce its new location:

-Holiday Inn Select, 4728 Constitution Ave, Baton Rouge, LA 70808.
-Attendee hotel rate of $95 per night. You have to use a special code to get the rate.  The code will be on the "Location" page of the BabelCon website as soon as we receive it (which should be in a couple of days).
-Date Change: BabelCon is now on July 19-20.
-Hours or Operation: Saturday 10am to 1am, Sunday 10am to 6pm.

The Rooms are listed below (all areas have air conditioning):
-Merchant room - 60 x 20 ft. - Village Bazarr
-Gaming room - 60 x 70 ft. - Gary Gygax Memorial Game Room
-Le Petit Faire (mini-Ren Fair in the atrium) - 150 x 30 ft. - Le Promenade
-Main programming - 100 x 100 ft. - (as yet unnamed)
-Paranormal room - 24 x 48 ft. - The Babel Files
-Anime room - 24 x 24 ft. - Animania
-Kids room - 20 x 24 ft. - The Shire
-Science room - 24 x 48 ft. - Spock's Quarters
-Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror room - 24 x 48 ft. - Briefing Room

Pre-Registration Admission
Sat. & Sun. SuperPass: $30
-----
At-The-Door Admission
2-Day Weekend SuperPass $35
1-Day Saturday-Only Badge: $25
1-Day Sunday-Only Badge: $15
-----
Game Host Discounts
Host a Game (min. 4 hours): 50% off day pass
Run a Tournament (min. 8 hours): Free day pass
-----
Merchant & Fan Table Cost
$60, includes one badge - more badges at 50% off (max. 2)
-----
Volunteer Discounts
Saturday, work 8 hours total: Free Saturday badge
Sunday, work 4 hours total: Free Sunday badge

More info:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 9:22pm

I've modified the BabelCon website as follows:

a)  Sci-Fi & Fantasy icons and Movie Posters added to top bar on every page.
b)  Added detailed titles to each page.
c)  Added a schedule page for each new room.
d)  Updated volunteer form for 2008. Linked to download icon.
e)  Pre-registration form updated for 2008.
f)   Posted new admission prices to Registration page.
g)  Added online registration capabilities to Registration page.
h)  Updated merchant form for 2008. Linked to download icon.
i)   Added online payment capabilities for table rentals to Merchant page.
j)   New venue added to Location page, with link to hotel site.
k)  Posted new convention hours of operation.
l)   Added new paranormal guests.
m) Updated program book advertising form for 2008. Linked to download icon.
n)  Created new BabelCon 2008 T-shirt logo. Updated graphics for T-Shirt page.
o)  Updated text for 2008 on Press Kit page.
p)  Updated Gaming pages with Gary Gygax Memorial.
q)  Passed out from exhaustion.

Check it out!   Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 8:57pm

The get the special BabelCon hotel room rate, you have to give the reservationist the following code:

Reservation code:  
O02
 -  that's the letter O, and number zero, and the number 2.

IP Logged

Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #6 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 9:39pm

The BabelCon floorplan map has been released:  

IP Logged

Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #7 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 5:04pm

I added Sci-Fi & Fantasy movie audio quotes to the Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register home page. Let me know what you think.  Anything missing?

IP Logged

Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 11:33pm

Then, I used the Sci-Fi soundbytes to created a "Sci-Fi & Fantasy Dance Remix" to open the BabelCon dance.  You can listen to it and other geek music here:  

IP Logged

Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #9 - Apr 2nd, 2008 at 9:13am

Click here for info:

IP Logged

Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #10 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 8:53pm

New Hotel Information: Don't Forget!

Cutoff for BabelCon hotel block of rooms is June 18th. You can make reservations after that, but they will no longer hold open rooms - its first come, first serve.

You MUST use the reservation code O02 (letter O, number zero, number 2) to get the reduced room rate.

We've planned a Friday night Meet-n-Greet event with the guests.  Admission price to be announced.

If you've already made a hotel reservation, using the code or not, please let me know.  We're trying to get an estimate of reservations made so far.

IP Logged

dahlia
StarkQueen
Stark player
Stark II PC
Kallistier
WhatNot
oldEsplanade

I Love YaBB 2!

new orleans
Reply #11 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 10:53pm

hahahaha

suffrayver  
IP Logged

Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #12 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 9:22am

Announcing BabelCon's newest Guest:

Richard Hatch

"Apollo" and "Zarek" from old and new Batlestar Galactica

IP Logged

Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #13 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 12:13am

Meet-n-Greet & Eat

Who:  Apollo/Zarek (Richard Hatch) from Battlestar Galactica, General Martok (John Hertzler), Klingon K'ehleyr/Female Q (Suzie Plakson), and Lost in Space robot (Bob May).

What: You, your VIP*Pass, 60 of your closest friends, catered hors d'oeuvres, a cash bar, and celebrity guests in an intimate setting.

Where:  Holiday Inn Select, 4728 Constitution Ave., Baton Rouge (use reservation code oh-zero-two, O02, when booking your hotel room)

When:  Friday, July 18th, 8pm-10pm.

How:  Pre-register for BabelCon, then buy a VIP*Pass on the Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register website. Each VIP*Pass is $20, and for adults 21 and over. VIP*Passes are limited, and sold on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Why:  Because its very cool to get 2 hours of one-on-one time with the actors that play our favorite TV characters, ask them questions we've been dying to know, and listen to their anecdotes and personal observations on the industry and fandom.

IP Logged

Bayou Halfling
Adventurer

There be dragons here...

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #14 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 9:26pm

The new Flier & Pre-registration combo form are now available.
The updated form includes the "VIP Meet-n-Greet & Eat":

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print