Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why GURPS? (Read 2490 times)
Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
Why GURPS?
Jan 21st, 2008 at 3:27am

Found this thread on the SJG GURPS forums and thought I would share for anyone interested in this very versatile game system.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Red Priest
Adventurer

I'm after rebellion; I'll
settle for lies.

Re: Why GURPS?
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 7:32pm

How would I describe GURPS? Why, as the over-complicated step-son of The Fantasy Trip, of course!  Wink

Actually, I kinda liked the complexity of the system.  I've played in a fantasy setting and futuristic pocky-clyspe setting as well.  It was fun, but character creation for a noob can be a bit long.

"Guaranteed by Dr Tarr and Professor Fether"

IP Logged

Cybrludite
Rune Bound

I want my baby back, baby
back, baby back ribs!

Under your bed, with a knife
Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 12:41pm

Red Priest wrote on Feb 25th, 2008 at 7:32pm:
Actually, I kinda liked the complexity of the system.  I've played in a fantasy setting and futuristic pocky-clyspe setting as well.  It was fun, but character creation for a noob can be a bit long.

Complexity? During character creation? Bwah-hahahahaha! If Katrina hadn't wiped out my collection of stuff from FGU, I'd show you complex character creation.  These kids today kvetching about addition, subtraction, and optional multiplying or dividing. No wonder the economy is in the gutter and the Indians and the gorram Red Chinese are getting set to kick our backsides in the new space-race. Cheesy

"If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right!" - Chris Thomas King
IP Logged

Red Priest
Adventurer

I'm after rebellion; I'll
settle for lies.

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 6:18pm

Cybrludite wrote on Jan 25th, 2009 at 12:41pm:
Red Priest wrote on Feb 25th, 2008 at 7:32pm:
Actually, I kinda liked the complexity of the system.  I've played in a fantasy setting and futuristic pocky-clyspe setting as well.  It was fun, but character creation for a noob can be a bit long.

Complexity? During character creation? Bwah-hahahahaha! If Katrina hadn't wiped out my collection of stuff from FGU, I'd show you complex character creation.  These kids today kvetching about addition, subtraction, and optional multiplying or dividing. No wonder the economy is in the gutter and the Indians and the gorram Red Chinese are getting set to kick our backsides in the new space-race. Cheesy

Aftermath?  Been there done that.
C&S?  Done that one, too.
Space Opera?  Please.  In my sleep.

Real men play RM2.. and like it!

"These kids today..."  Kids?  Kids?  Everyone here old enough to remember watching Star Trek during it's original run, and watching Tricky Dick say "Sock it to.. me?" on Laugh-In, raise your hand.

ME? <-- math major in correge.

Yup, and I still maintain that GURPS character creation, done well, is a bit much for new players to the system. It's not about the math, it's about grokking how all the talents, skills and skill-kickers work together.  Not so bad after you understand it though.  

"Guaranteed by Dr Tarr and Professor Fether"

IP Logged

feralucce
Townfolk

A wandering monster attacked
me.

New Orleans
Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2009 at 12:53am

See...I have never gotten into GURPs... it seems like a rip off of Hero...

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2009 at 3:45am

Rip off isn't fair.

HERO was a system for non lethal combat.  Because the genre required characters with many distinct powers and even characters from different times, it was one of the first to easily allow mixed genres.

GURPS is different in that it wants a game with more realistic physics.  Combat is deadly.  But since it also had the goal of mixing genres easily, the resulting systems have a lot of similarities in character creation.  The mechanics of combat have a lot of little differences though.

I like them both.

IP Logged

feralucce
Townfolk

A wandering monster attacked
me.

New Orleans
Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 10:29pm

While the combat emphasis is different, the character construction and power build basics are a direct lift from the hero/champions melieu.

I used to be an MIB (SJ games rep) and wasn't fond of it then... but it's all a matter of taste.

IP Logged

Adam
MGG

Mouse Guard

Slidell, LA
Reply #7 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 4:43am

Okay, I finally looked into this system because I always hear about it. All I can come up with is, "omfg, are you serious?!" the amount of material is just staggering. I guess some OCD bastard just had to make a conversion for everything into everything. Gone are the days that the square peg does not fit in the round hole, because GURPS has a table for that... Lol.

Lots love to all gamers. I rag on everything, nothing personal Smiley

Being an Atheist doesn't mean I'm better than you. Statistically, it just means I'm smarter.

IP Logged

Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
Reply #8 - Oct 25th, 2010 at 7:10pm

I still have my GURPS books and they can be fun to read, but I think I am being drawn more to the BRP system as a universal generic gaming system.  It is fairly rules lite (use what special rules you want and drop the rest).  Need a skill, not in the book, make it up and associate a attribute to it.  I like the fact that is percentile based and 'leveling' your character actually comes from using skills.  One table.  Really, pretty much one table.  The Resistance Table, and once you get the calculation down you don't even need that one.

I can't remember the last time I was at the SJ games site or forums, while I spend a little bit of time each day at various BRP and CoC forums and sites.

I know this is the GURPS section and all that, but since i started this thread I am allowed to hijack.  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print