Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Skills from role playing (Read 970 times)
Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Skills from role playing
Jan 12th, 2008 at 12:12am

In the House rules you say that languages are aquired from role playing.  How does this work with the skill point system.

1.  When making the character, do I have to request extra skill points for initial languages if the background calls for it or do I spend skill points for langauges and other things normally at creation?

2.  When I gain a new language from role playing do I spend a point from my skill point alotment or are skills from role playing extra?

3.  What if I gain a skill via role playing I don't want to spend points on?

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Re: Skills from role playing
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2008 at 3:09pm

1) In the beginning you have as many languages as your intelligence allows (if indeed you are in a situation in which you can learn that many languages).

In extenuating circumstances, as in long lived characters or in a very language rich upbringing, you may know more languages then your intelligence allows. In this you may add languages at the cost of 2 skill points each.

2) If you gain a new language you need not spend skill points, but it does require a heavy roleplaying tole. Skills like knowledge, performance, and the like do not count your skill point total as in the house rules.

3) Skills such as survival, rope use, healing, etc. my get in endowment of points by me, as to to reach them to the point in which is realistic to the character and their training. This is done in cases when the skill point total for the character is unrealistically low, and a character would have obviously reached a certain low ability (ex +5) though there are not skill points to be devoted.

I am light with skills because I believe as a whole all the characters do not get as many as they should. I would be happier if classes got automatic scaler proficiencies for their core class skills (ex rogue gets a automatic rank in tumble level+3) and if skill points were just deferred to be used on everything extra curricular.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print