Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New People (Read 3177 times)
Kinthar
Stark player
Staff
oldEsplanade

|:

New People
Nov 28th, 2007 at 7:49pm

Off topic replies have been moved to Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2008 at 12:47am by SombreNote DM »  

IP Logged

Jaeger
Townfolk

west bank
Re: Join Our Table!
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 4:38am

hey, my name is yeager, and i'm interested in joining a game.  i have some experience with 3.5 dnd.  i have the players handbook and the dungeon master's guide and a 12-sided die...

and now some random smilies:  Tongue Cool Shocked Sad Angry Cheesy Smiley Wink Cry Lips Sealed Roll Eyes Shocked Angry Lips Sealed Embarrassed Roll Eyes

anyway... i have played forgotten realms, a little eberron, lots of different homebrew worlds.  i have read the "complete" series and have played a lot of different kinds of characters.  i have played with a few different gaming groups with different gaming styles.  my intro to roleplaying was with white wolf games (vampire, mage, aberrant, etc.) back in the 90s so i can dig serious rp environment and be aware of tone and pacing and storytelling and character development etc.  but i am also a strategy-game fan (starcraft, axis and allies, etc.) so i can appreciate those aspects as well.

i never throw a fit over rules and rulings.  i understand that the rules are guidelines and that the game is alive.  i understand the role of the dm, and i understand my role as a player... to enhance the game.  any house rules and variations and dm decisions are part of what makes the game unique and entertaining.  

saturdays are good for me.  tuesdays and thursdays are my bad days.  if there is a day that i can't play, i will know weeks in advance.  i know my way around the city and i get around a lot, so location is no problem.

i was thinking about playing a chaotic evil trassexual gnome psionicist with a fetish for eating live baby dragons during intercourse.  i was hoping to spend all of my feats on leadership and get a lot of minions too... let me know if this concept will work for your campaign.  

thanks for your time Happy.

coldpheasant@yahoo.com
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

ps: just to avoid confusion (because there are some strange folks out there) the gnome is a joke.

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 5:34am

Shame... the gnome would have fit right in.

I will post something longer in about an hour.  Just posting now so you know to look back tonight to tomorrow.

In the mean time, read this:   Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

We restarted the game at the start of the year and thats a log of the first four sessions.

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 6:19am

OK, this is the real reply.

Should I have said my remark on the gnome was a joke too?

The basic joining procedure is simple.   We meet in person to make sure there is mutual compatability.  People are different and sometimes styles and interests are different and there just isn't a synergy.  It hasn't been a problem so far but we all have stories of past games where expectations of some in the group weren't a good match.  This is as much for you to interview us as it is for us to meet you.

In the past we've met for lunch or dinner but now, given the DM's work schedule, it would have to be dinner or you could just go by his place (where we game) one evening during the week.  Lunch works better for me but his current job doesn't allow that so I would most likely stop in but not stay long.   There we would go over the House rules and talk about the general feel of the game and you could tell us what style/mood you are most interested in and ask any questions.   You can get a head start by reading the game log and reading the House rules (see Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register;  You can ask questions here of course.

Assuming you join us you will need to meet with the DM to make a character before we game.  That could happen the same night or before the next game.  You'd need to have a ready character reviewed by the DM before you started gaming with us.

We restarted the game in January.  We lost two members due to real world stuff and someone new joined.  The group is still more about role playing than anything else.  In other word, it is possible the party, in character, will reject your character and we expect your character to treat us like people he just met until we learn, in character to trust each other.  There isn't any metaphysical force of "it's a PC so we have to trust him".  Its not out of the question for your character to have known one of the current characters in the past so some trust (or conflict) exists as long as all parties are agreeable.  You just need to think about the character and treat the other characters 'realistically'.

What race/class you play is up to you as long as its within the limits of the game world.  We don't want someone to make a character to fill in a gap and not be as happy about it.  At the same time, you don't want to duplicate what the other characters do because that's less fun for everything.  The best thing to do is make a character you want to play and just avoid duplicating a party role too closely.   Right now we have a druid, a ranger with some psi ability and a fighter with some (combat) magic ability.  We don't have a proper mage and we don't have a rogue.  We are mostly in the woods so the druid and the ranger can cover the stealth thing but there isn't any sneak attacking.  On the down side for a rogue we have a druid and a ranger so its not likely we will want to be in town much.  We don't have a mage but the ranger's psi abilties will include some energy projection in the future and he is a bow-ranger so missle fire is covered.

In the previous version of the game I was an outsider and racial tension was a big factor.  Race is open but you can expect some in character friction from the world the more non-human you are.

We game on Saturday night and have been meeting around 5:30 lately.  We try to meet every week and I get very cranky when we don't but sometimes we miss a session.  Sometimes we go out to eat before we start playing but mostly we order out.  If you want to bring your own food that's cool.

Feel free to ask questions and post back when you could meet during the week.

IP Logged

Jaeger
Townfolk

west bank
Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 10:41am

i was thinking that a utility wizard might be handy.  i'd focus on spells like alter self, knock, and invisibility to make up for lack of city utility (rogue).  and for combat i would focus on summoning spells to fully take advantage of the dm's flanking rules, give the bad guys something else to swing at other than our poor fighter-mage and cat companion, provoke attacks of opportunity, etc.

for race/background/personality, i was thinking something along these lines: young human male named Nod.  shortly after his birth, he was given to a powerful wizard in exchange for some service.  the wizard took the boy far away, into the deep forest.  as the boy grew, the wizard treated him harshly, locking him up every night and forcing him to work hard every day, but he kept him fed and took care of him.  when the boy was old enough, he began his arcane education, but it was hindered by his tendency to doze off all of the time (which greatly angered the wizard).  Nod got used to hiding in the forest to escape his master's wrath.  his only friends were the forest animals.  he often talked to them and imagined they could understand him and talk back.  he would doze off underneath the trees and dream about being free and seeing the world.

his master, quick to anger but also quick to forget, taught the boy a great deal, but one day an enemy came to the forest, killed the wizard, and burned his house to the ground.  when Nod came home and found that his master was dead and everything was gone, he grew very sad (because he loved the old guy) and he kind of went a little crazy.  he wandered through the woods for over a year before he happened upon a city on the outskirts of the forest.  he stayed there for a year or two, the crazy hermit at the edge of town, but eventually decided to return to the wild.

Nod is young and somewhat attractive if not for his wild appearance, bizarre tendency to laugh for no apparent reason, and his untrained social skills.  he also talks to animals and trees, occasionally uses his arcane magic (which can be unsettling to some folks), and still has a tendency to fall asleep almost anywhere.  he is a traveler, wandering from town to town and sleeping under the stars.

so that background should explain his animal kinship and his reliance on utility magic (disguise magic and door-opening magic comes in handy when you are always a stranger).  he should fit in with the group.  finding specific motivation won't be too much of an issue.  it is not unreasonable that he may have run into the liam or loslogost at some point, or perhaps he ran into other druids and they gave him a token of some kind that identifies him as a friend?  in the back of his mind he might be hoping to find his parents and discover the truth behind why they would abandon him.  he also might want to know who killed his master and why.  just some personal threads that might make for a random side-quest or character development episode.

feedback is cool.  i can go a different route with this or play a completely different character.  i can tweak the tone of his background or change it completely.  as far as meeting with you guys, monday or wednesday would be best.  i have band practice on tuesday and thursday evenings and a show on friday evening.  if you guys wanted to go the lunch route instead, i am available any day at lunch or early evening (before 7).  i'll send a PM to the DM (heh) with my phone number.

IP Logged

dylanix
Townfolk

Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2008 at 4:39am

Looking over the different classes, I think I'd really like to play a cleric.  In playing other RPGs in the past, I really enjoyed a support role for my character, so being able to provide healing as well as some melee combat seems to do that nicely.  Like yeager, I'm willing to mix it up to help fit in with the storyline.

At the moment, I literally have nothing to do all day, so whenever anyone is available to meet up for introductions is fine with me.  Just pick a time that works best for you.

A PM or an email is a quick, reliable way to get in touch with me.  If you'd like my cell phone number, just ask. Smiley

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2008 at 6:04am

At a minimum you (both of you I mean) have to meet with the DM.  His game so when he's not happy the monsters get meaner.  With his current job he can't do lunch so an early or late dinner makes more sense.  If you do that, Ray will probably be around too so that's two of the players.

You should talk to him about character specifics.  I was purposely vague trying to just give you enough info to understand the roles that were filled without going into the specifics of the secrets or quirks of each character.  That's saved for the role playing.   Grin

How about you two meet me for lunch tuesday (2/26) or wednesday (2/27)?  I can bring a copy of the House rules and go over them and you can ask any questions.  Maybe Kevin and/or Ray can show up too.    Then you can IM Reino here and meet up with him some evening.  Character specifics have to be cleared by him anyway.

So, anyone up for lunch tomorrow or wednesday?

I'd suggest my favorite place:

Pyramid Cafe‎
3151 Calhoun St, New Orleans, LA
(504) 861-9602

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

There is always parking in back even at lunch, the foods good, and it has stuff for carnivores and vegetarians.

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #7 - Feb 26th, 2008 at 1:40pm

I'm doing lunch with yeager today.   Kevin, Ray, can you join us?

Dylanix, join us or we can do lunch tomorrow.

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #8 - Feb 26th, 2008 at 2:41pm

where when?

IP Logged

Liam
Stark II PC
Staff
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
WhatNot
Rune Bound
Esplanade

Awesome.

Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2008 at 3:04pm

Pyramids.

I will get there around 11:45 and can stay for about 50 mins.

IP Logged

dylanix
Townfolk

Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2008 at 3:11pm

Edit: Scratch that.  I remembered that I do have something at that time.  Sorry, guys.
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2008 at 5:17pm by dylanix »  

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #11 - Feb 26th, 2008 at 7:34pm

NP, i will just need to know about a day in advance.

IP Logged

Kev
Esplanade
ShadowRun B
oldEsplanade
Kallistier
MGG
Stark II PC
WhatNot
Enlightened
JustSayNo
Rune Bound
Kallisti GM

Metairie, LA
Reply #12 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 5:01pm

Sorry for the late response on this Liam and all, work has been so crazy this week I have not gotten on the computer at home except to do work after hours.  Lunches are pretty much out for me anytime during the week, due to working conditions.  Early dinners or a weekend lunch or something along those lines would work as well.

yeager:  I like the premise of that character and I think it would fit well with what we have going on currently with the group.

dylanix: I think a cleric could be a good mix.  The druid has been able to handle healing ok so far but limits some of the other things he could do if he did not have to have most of his spells as healing spells.

The lateness of this response may be moot, but, I thought I would throw it out there anyway. Smiley

L

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #13 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 5:13pm

So i got together with Yeager, and we settled on a class called the spirit shaman. It is a pretty tight class, and will work well with the druid. It also has a lot of very useful quarks.

Dylanix: Sorry to hear you are busy after all. If you know anyone else who is interested send them this way.

IP Logged

Jaeger
Townfolk

west bank
Reply #14 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 5:17pm

yea... that wizard got scrapped.  i'm going to play a spirit shaman instead (complete divine), but he should be able to fill the same niche and help with healing.  i'm still working on a background and personality and stuff.  i met with Reino and Ray on wednesday and i'll be there on saturday to hopefully jump into the game.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print