Where should I link this to? Recent posts
Recent threads
Event Calendar
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  The Event Calendar for YaBB 1.4 was finally released.  There is a tab for it below.  Check it out.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New House Rules Pending Edition (Read 4065 times)
SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
New House Rules Pending Edition
Aug 21st, 2007 at 10:16pm

Damage Rules

Serous Wounds
     Sneak Attacks or Confirmed Critical

Effect:
     After 6 rounds take -1 on all checks and DC’s

Treatments of:
(-1 penalty)
                     DC 15 heal check
                      Cure Serous Wounds spells or greater (or two of lower degree)
                     Bed rest

Critical Wounds
     Dropping Blow (dropped to -1 hit points or more)

Effect:
     Fort save (DC 19 + negative hit points) or go unconscious
                              Lose 1 hit point per round until dead
                              -2 on all checks and DC’s

Treatments of:
(unconsciousness)
                               Bring hit points to zero or above

Treatments of:
(hit point loss)
                               Fort save (DC 16 + rounds dieing)
                           DC 20 heal check
                           Cure Critical Wounds spell or greater, or two of lower degree
                           (No hit points are gained until stabilized)

Treatments of:
(-2 penalty and re-injury threat)
                               One night of bed rest starting at 0 hit points or above

Taking a full round action after stabilization causes hit point to continue dropping again

Coup De Grace

Effect:
     Fort save (DC 10 + damage dealt by the critical) or die

Treatment:

If survived treat as Dropping Blow
                                 Hit points are at -1, if not already negative
                                 (Blow might cause physical damage dependent on attack)

Massive Damage

Effect:
     Fort save (DC 15 + 1 per 10 damage past 50) or receive Dropping Blow

Instant Death Spells (Save-or-die spells)

Effect:
     Dropped too -1 hit points
                                 Become unconscious
                                 Lose 1 hit point per round until dead
                                 -4 on all checks and DC’s

Treatment of:
(hit point lose)
                             Cure Critical Wounds spell or greater

Treatment of:
(unconsciousness)
                             The passage of one day’s time and a total of 0 hit points or more is required.
                             (Hit points can not be raised too zero until awake)

Treatment of:
(-4 on all checks and DC’s)
                             Two nights of bed rest starting at 0 hit points or above

Healing Skill Usages

Task                                    Heal DC
       Long-term care                           (DC 15)
       Treat minor wounds                   (DC 15)
       Stabilize creature (First aid)            (DC 20)
       Identify poison                             (Poison’s save DC)
     Treat poison                            (Poison’s save DC + 10)
     Identify disease                     (Disease’s save DC +10)
     Treat disease                           (Disease’s save DC +10)

Detect near death                  (DC 10)
     Detect damage                        (DC 20)
     Detect resilience                    (DC 30)

Long-term care: Provide long-term care meaning treating a wounded person for a day or more. If your heal check is successful, the patient recovers hit points or ability scores points (lost to ability damage) at twice the normal rate: 2 hit points per level for a full 8 hours of rest in a day, or 4 hit points per level for each full day of complete rest; 2 ability score points for a full 8 hours of rest in a day, or 4 ability score points for each full day of complete rest. You can tend as many as six patients at a time. You need a few items and supplies (bandages, salves, and so on) that are easy to come by in settled lands.
     Treat minor wounds: Treat wounds from critical hits, sneak attacks, caltrop, spike growth or spike stones removing the penalties these conditions exhibit.
     Stabilize creature (First aid): Use a full round action drawing an attack of opportunity to stabilize a dieing creature. You need a few items and supplies (bandages, salves, and so on) that are easy to come by in settled lands.
     Identify poison: You identify a poison, and discern its nature. Failing this check can cause the identifier to be poisoned depended on how the poison is used.
     Treat poison: You know the antidote of an identified poison, and how to make it. This requires any herbs or chemicals to reverse the effects of the poison. Some materials are hard to find.
     Identify disease: You identify a disease, and discern its nature. Failing this check can cause the identifier to be diseased dependent on the method of contraction.
     Treat disease: You know the means of curing an identified disease. This requires any herbs or chemicals to reverse the effects of the disease. Some materials are hard to find.

Detect near death: With a spot check, a character using this skill can discern whether or not a target is above or below 10 hit points.
     Detect damage: With a spot check, a character using this skill can discern if a target is below 10 hit points, or is above or below 50% health.
     Detect resilience: Detect a target’s current hit points.

Normal Distribution d20

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Quote:
To explain each column:

d20 Dice Equivalent: This is the value of the die rolled from your 2d10 % roll.
Number of Chances: This is the number of chances out of a hundred of getting each value.
% Chance: This is the percentage chances of each value 1-20.
Low d100: This is the lower boundary value when finding the d20 equivalent from a d100 role.
High d100: This is the upper boundary value when finding the d20 equivalent from a d100 role.
Crit d20: Equivalent: Because I do not wish criticals to be distorted in probability due to the distortion in the d20, critical high and lows have been assigned in 5% increments; the same as the usual d20.
Low Crit: This is the low value of reaching a critical range, and usually the only value one needs to decide if there is a critical threat or not.
High Crit: This is a higher bound value for a critical range, but is not useful unless for example a 19 crit is different from a natural 20 crit.

One might ask how you use such a distribution chart at a table effectively without taking to much time deciding what your equivalent d20 value is.

One only needs 3 columns to do this, and one number normally. You print out on a piece of paper, low d100 and high d100 of the distribution of your choosing, and the equivalent d20 correspondently. You also write down at the top, your crit value. If you have a 18-20/x2 crit weapon, you would have to write down 86 as corresponding to the low crit value in the low crit table column.

Now you are off to the races. Just role d100 or 2d10 (interchangeable), and read the value on the chart. If you roll a 9, you d20 value is 5 as on style3. Want to know if you role a crit? Just role above an 86 with your 18-20/x2 crit weapon and it is an unconfirmed crit. This might seem slow at first, but try it out, you might be surprised as to how fast you get at it.

I am thinking this:

Saves  = normal
Skills   = normal
Skills under duress = Normal or d20 your pick
Attacks = normal or d20 your pick

I was thinking it might be cool to give skills a +5 or -5 when they get a 1 or a 100 on the check.

IP Logged

Kinthar
Stark player
Staff
oldEsplanade

|:

Re: New House Rules Pending Edition
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 11:51pm

Can you break this up into three posts?   It wont print.   I think its a YaBB bug but it might just be an HTML thing.  I think there is code telling each post to stay on the same page and its so long that when you print, you lose stuff in the healing text.  So three psots, one about damage, one  about healing, and one about d20 normal and I think it will print better.

Just quote yourself twice, remove the quote tags and the extra text.  Just make sure the second two posts are complete before deleting from the first one.  Or ask me and I can do it.

OK, I will do it so I can try printing before I leave work.

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 12:28am

How about I do one better.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Kinthar
Stark player
Staff
oldEsplanade

|:

Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 12:43am

Yeah, that would work too.

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 10:38pm

Update placed in house rules.

IP Logged

Kinthar
Stark player
Staff
oldEsplanade

|:

Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2007 at 9:39pm

It moved.

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #6 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 2:31am

Out of much deliberation I have hammered out the travel rules. These will make little difference in your game, but it is nice for the teleporters to have them.

Travel Mechanics

All souled things have a limitation in the distance to which they can travel in a particular amount of time. Every being has a core position which moves with them. A creature can only be so far from their core before negative effects surface.

* The beings' core can only move 50 miles a day in the direction of its owner.
* A being can only be a limit of 1000 miles + (level*50) from their core before becoming sickened.
* A being can only be a limit of 1200 miles + (level*50) from their core before becoming unconscious.
* A being can only be a limit of 1400 miles + (level*50) from their core before dieing.

* Spells range is also limited to 1000 miles + (level*50). If a spell has a dispelable duration, and one moves out of their max spell range, it is dispelled. This spell range also limits spells like locate object, scry, and sending.

IP Logged

Kinthar
Stark player
Staff
oldEsplanade

|:

Reply #7 - Nov 3rd, 2007 at 4:43pm

There is no point in having the level*50 adjustment if the core doesn't move faster as your level increases.  Maybe something like your core moves 50+level*5?

And I think its too harsh to make an absolute scrying range limited.  It means you can get lost and mages can't find you which is a change in power.   But I understand the point of limiting it.  What if information spells loose accuracy outside of the max range?   So if you scry something 2000 miles away you get a general location.  If its 10000 miles away you get its location in a 1000 mile area.  If its 100000 miles away you just get general direction.   So you scry once a day and you get closer but you have to get within the 1000 miles before you can actually locate/see it.

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #8 - Nov 3rd, 2007 at 5:34pm

There is a great deal of point to not having the core move any faster, and I like the fact that increasing your level can give you only a light advantage to temporary distance traveled. I don't see why you would have a issue with the fact that cores do not increase speed, but distance from the core does.

You might be miss understanding the entire point of the range limitations. It is to keep lands as they are heterogeneous. In normal D&D everyone can be everywhere, every spell can talk to anyone, and where a high level character is, means nothing. The same goes for the gods. But D&D loves to act like this does not happen. Even though they talk about having countries and regions on a common rule, this is near impossible unless such places are not considered valuable enough to corrupt or concur.

The new 4.0 did has done away with this. They have finally noticed that civilized functional society can not exist and that only little towns cut off from every other little down works. They now have it in their basic descriptions of the world.

Now I do not like this fact. I know that the game is so easily broken. So one way to make it so that one goes is not allowed to play just as much role in one area as another is I make everything localized to a space. All can move around a great deal, but it takes time for them to move so far from their start.

Now it might seem like a trivial thing to give some spells the ability to go beyond that basic range limit. But their really can not be any connection between different regions except of course for the people passing on messages.

"It means you can get lost and mages can't find you which is a change in power?"
I have AWAYS been a supporter of the melee magic balance shift towards the fundamentally weak. So if you are arguing that melee being about to "escape" mages is an over powered thing, i would have to ahead and say well sure... and let them have it. And the range the a fighter would have to be away from a mage to make that so is huge, put all the mage has to do is travel in the direction he things he is in, and scry him there.

"So if you scry something 2000 miles away you get a general location. "

Don't think they should get a general location. Not if they are 2000 miles away.

"So you scry once a day and you get closer but you have to get within the 1000 miles before you can actually locate/see it."

Why is this so important a game dynamic, that a mage will be able to scower the planet looking for something?  They have a spell for that "Locate Object" which is also as limited.

IP Logged

Kinthar
Stark player
Staff
oldEsplanade

|:

Reply #9 - Nov 3rd, 2007 at 6:28pm

Once you get 5000 miles away you are safe.  It would take luck for the mage to find you.  Magic should be more powerful than that.  So, when you are 'out of range' it points the mage in the right direction.  The movement limitations means it still takes a long time for him to get to you but this would let him still search.  It just has a better feel to me.

Same with the core movement.  It justs makes more sense to me that your core would move faster as you get more power (levels).  Having it move 50+level*5 isn't much of a change but it means the more powerful can move a little faster.  Or maybe 50+level.

IP Logged

SombreNote DM
Stark DM
ShadowRun B
Kallistier
Intelligent_Life
Staff
oldEsplanade
WhatNot
Enlightened
Esplanade

The DM

Ann Arbor, MI
Reply #10 - Nov 3rd, 2007 at 8:32pm

" Magic should be more powerful than that.  So, when you are 'out of range' it points the mage in the right direction.  The movement limitations means it still takes a long time for him to get to you but this would let him still search.  It just has a better feel to me."

So this is an emotion issue. Because I feel there is no need for the mage to have the ability to find you everywhere in the world. They can already look at you and listen to you, send you warnings, and teleport on top of you while you sleep. All this where as the non magic user gets none of it... You also want them to be able to find anyone hiding at even a larger range. They already have (1200 miles + (level*50)) + (1000 miles + (level*50)) radius from their core area of effect. That is an diameter circle of 4600 miles at 1st level, and 8400 mile diameter circle at 20th level!

IP Logged

Kinthar
Stark player
Staff
oldEsplanade

|:

Reply #11 - Nov 3rd, 2007 at 10:51pm

Is your world so it can work like you want.  I just think the other makes more sense but I am used to magic being more powerful.  That is, at high levels, mortals can't comprehend it.

I think emotional is the wrong word but yes, I think its an intuitive feeling, not a logical one.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print